Mustang owners

bcryant

burnt toast
I am 99% sure about picking one of these up soon, mainly for recording purposes.
I also considered the Yamaha THR10 but with the Mustang 1 coming in at under half the price taxes in I am leaning towards getting the Fender.

So....how are they?

They are "ok". I have a Mustang I at home and a Mustang II here at the studio that just quit working.

After you replace several useless high gain patches with better user shared patches, plus set the sag for each, they become useable. The lack of tube feel and sensitivity is a big detractor, unlike the much more useful Fender Super Champ X2.

Well, my opinions on both:

Yamaha THR10:

Pros: Cute. Small. Lightweight. Stereo speakers. Some good crunchy/gainy tones.

Cons: Pricey for what it is. Cleans (to my ears) get really flabby when the volume is up. Pretty much limited to low-volume practive and recording - kinda hard to jam with unless you output it to a PA or something.

Mustang (and I'll use the III for example; $20 more than the THR10, and I have owned a MIII for awhile):

Pros: Versatile. GREAT tones, especially the cleaner Fender models. Good tones whether whisper quiet or deafeningly LOUD. Don't need the software for the "deep" editing, although it makes it easier. Celestion 12" speaker. Can be used from home practice and recording to standalone rehearsals and gigs (took mine to Pragestock, and never had the master above 4 :embarrassed:.).

The cheaper Mustang I and IIs are OK, and may be enough for your purposes, but if the THR10 is in your sights, you can get the MUCH better MIII for the same money, plus it's usable for more than the home.

All in all, I would go with either of the Mustangs over the THR.

Mustang 1 is good for bedroom practice and recording here. Takes pedals well, I just leave a princeton clean 99% of the time unless I'm recording.

Recorded tones will be a lot bassier because of the 8 inch speaker of the combo versus the bigger sim on the usb. But a bit of eq'ing and your good to go. Nice recorded tone IMO after taking that into consideration.

Back