Musical chameleons: List them.

Every electric bassist worth noting...it's part of their job.

Paul McCartney
John Deacon
John Paul Jones
Nathan East
Jimmy Johnson

Of course there are ton of one trick bassists as well, but I think part of that gig or getting a gig as a bassist is being able to tackle more variety than a guitarist or singer.

I tend to agree, though I find it funny that 3 of the biggest bassist names are not all that flexible or able to "blend".

30056f07bdce73da37204b56a1e1d8cd.jpg

170197761.jpg

105_artist.jpeg

Though I guess we could say they became huge as bassists by finding a way to be unique on an instrument that isn't meant to be unique.

I tend to agree, though I find it funny that 3 of the biggest bassist names are not all that flexible or able to "blend".

170197761.jpg

105_artist.jpeg

Though I guess we could say they became huge as bassists by finding a way to be unique on an instrument that isn't meant to be unique.

I don't know about Flea. He played on Young MC's album, Alanis Morrisette's Jaged Little Pill and toured with Janes Addiction. He has recorded tunes with Tom Waits, Johnny Cash, Warren Zevon and Bone Tugs and Harmony to name a few.

Reactions: OGG
I don't know about Flea. He played on Young MC's album, Alanis Morrisette's Jaged Little Pill and toured with Janes Addiction. He has recorded tunes with Tom Waits, Johnny Cash, Warren Zevon and Bone Tugs and Harmony to name a few.
I knew I felt weird posting him, though he still sounds like Flea on AM and I would guess "Bone Tugs"and Harmony ( I love funny t9 errors :) )wasn't much of a stretch for him.

Dave Grohl :tongue:

I say that partially as a joke because it has been a long time since he has been mentioned and it seemed for a while there was a new Dave thread every other day. But when you think about, he has played drums with Nirvana, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Led Zeppelin (well half of them, Page and Jones), Paul McCartney, RDGLDGRN and Zac Brown. He played guitar with the Foo Fighters, Mick Jagger, and Ghost. And there are a ton I am missing.

So he can play rock AND roll?

Reactions: OGG

170197761.jpg

105_artist.jpeg

Billy plays melodic simple stuff ala-Macca in many a Mr. Big tune, He brings the thunder in Winery Dogs, virtuosity in other tunes with crazy solos, then he has that project with Dennis Chambers that has him doing a "jazzy" thing. Billy came up playing in cover bands or playing cover tunes in Buffalo (and elsewhere) playing what the tunes/situation calls for.

Flea may have made a name for himself going over top with his funk-style, but songs like Over the Bridge and Breaking the Girl show a far broader ability to be more melodic and foundational as a player. Given in formal trumpet training, I'd guess his abilities and adaptability extend far beyond what the Chili Peppers do. Maybe like Flam said about Thile, I'd bet he's quite capable of playing far more than we've heard from him.

Harris may be more one-trick pony, but we only have Maiden and their signature style and genre to go on. Obviously what he does works great within that context and Maiden wouldn't be Maiden without him...especially as the primary songwriter for their early albums.

I'd agree and disagree. He can play with virtually anyone and fit like a glove, but he's still instantly recognizable as Ry Cooder. Same way with Bill Frisell.
Might Neil Young also be viewed in this way? He has worn many hats and played different styles in different artistic directions. But pretty sure he is very recognizable as Neil.

Billy plays melodic simple stuff ala-Macca in many a Mr. Big tune, He brings the thunder in Winery Dogs, virtuosity in other tunes with crazy solos, then he has that project with Dennis Chambers that has him doing a "jazzy" thing. Billy came up playing in cover bands or playing cover tunes in Buffalo (and elsewhere) playing what the tunes/situation calls for.

Flea may have made a name for himself going over top with his funk-style, but songs like Over the Bridge and Breaking the Girl show a far broader ability to be more melodic and foundational as a player. Given in formal trumpet training, I'd guess his abilities and adaptability extend far beyond what the Chili Peppers do. Maybe like Flam said about Thile, I'd bet he's quite capable of playing far more than we've heard from him.

Harris may be more one-trick pony, but we only have Maiden and their signature style and genre to go on. Obviously what he does works great within that context and Maiden wouldn't be Maiden without him...especially as the primary songwriter for their early albums.
Billy can probably play anything under the sun, though he seems to always sounds like Billy, mostly due to his tone.

The topic being musical chameleons and all.

I haven't heard all of their stuff which is true, but a lot of what you wrote is speculation as well especially with Flea. Your notes on Steve Harris totally prove my point. Glad to see we agree on him.

I love Steve to be honest, and he was my earliest influence musically when I started out on bass.

Billy can probably play anything under the sun, though he seems to always sounds like Billy, mostly due to his tone.

The topic being musical chameleons and all.

I haven't heard all of their stuff which is true, but a lot of what you wrote is speculation as well especially with Flea. Your notes on Steve Harris totally prove my point. Glad to see we agree on him.

I love Steve to be honest, and he was my earliest influence musically when I started out on bass.

I don't think being a musical chameleon should imply losing your individuality.

Billy has played in a lot of different styles within the various groups he worked. Similarly Flea has touched upon a varied amount of musical genres within and without the Peppers. In the case of both guys, when playing outside of their "signature" style their tone doesn't really scream who they are to me. The bassline in To Be With You doesn't scream SHEEHAN!!! Nor does the bassline to Scar Tissue scream FLEA!!! We recognize them as the biggest hits from the bands (or at least one of them from the Chili Peppers).

But my ears aren't speculating anything, I'm hearing diversity that might seem homogenized in the entity we call the Peppers, mostly due to Anthony's limited abilities (but I'm a fan, so it's all good). Same with Sheehan. Just listen to depth and breadth of their catalogs and they reveal a wide musical ability and understanding beyond their perceived limitations within a given band or genre.

I get you though, I just hear it different, which if perfectly fine.

Back