Musical chameleons: List them.

Every electric bassist worth noting...it's part of their job.

Paul McCartney
John Deacon
John Paul Jones
Nathan East
Jimmy Johnson

Of course there are ton of one trick bassists as well, but I think part of that gig or getting a gig as a bassist is being able to tackle more variety than a guitarist or singer. So I guess that would apply to decent drummers and keyboard players. Ideally all musicians would be capable of playing a variety of styles well, but we know that's not the case.

I'd agree and disagree. He can play with virtually anyone and fit like a glove, but he's still instantly recognizable as Ry Cooder. Same way with Bill Frisell.

But that brings up the point of individuality and versatility not being mutually exclusive. The pairing would seemingly be the ideal for all musicians. Being able to work in any situation while still presenting an musical identity.

But that brings up the point of individuality and versatility not being mutually exclusive. The pairing would seemingly be the ideal for all musicians. Being able to work in any situation while still presenting an musical identity.

I'd agree. Except for the 'ideal for all'. There's a place for either/or.

We haven't really heard Chris Thile play music from South America, Africa, Asia, or Eastern Europe, but I have no doubt that he could.

Ravi Shankar had a great ability to make sitar fit into all sorts of unexpected places

I'd agree. Except for the 'ideal for all'. There's a place for either/or.

Definitely, but I'd like to think of musicians as wanting to be more well versed than most of the musicians I've met are. Even as fans, so many musicians listen to so little. I remember my guitar player friends in high school being absolutely blown away by Yngwie, because he was so fast and played metal. They couldn't be talked to about other fast guitarists that played country, jazz, blues and forget about acoustic!

I have and do find the inability to play as many genres as my ears love frustrating and I'd guess that's part of why it went from something I was going to pursue as a career to hobby. That and fear of being a starving artist...who the hell wants to starve. I mean, have you had food? It's delicious!

Dave Grohl :tongue:

I say that partially as a joke because it has been a long time since he has been mentioned and it seemed for a while there was a new Dave thread every other day. But when you think about, he has played drums with Nirvana, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, Led Zeppelin (well half of them, Page and Jones), Paul McCartney, RDGLDGRN and Zac Brown. He played guitar with the Foo Fighters, Mick Jagger, and Ghost. And there are a ton I am missing.

Back