Music related...LEGOs! The Beatles and missing George.

Dogsinplastic

avuncular to no one
So my wife got me this for Christmas:

81r0DqIrTWL._SL1500_.jpg

And it got my boys asking if they were still alive. And I was shocked, despite knowing the information well enough to quickly answer my 6 year-old, that George passed more than 15 years ago. It just sounds wrong.

Revolver might be the best album ever...it definitely is for me.

Revolver is one of my favorites too. Their middle career albums were phenomenal. I like all of their work really, but the middle is standout to me.

I bonded more with Rubber Soul than with Revolver, but Revolver is an amazing album.

And I too miss George. :(

Revolver is one of my favorites too. Their middle career albums were phenomenal. I like all of their work really, but the middle is standout to me.

I agree. They hit a stride after being very "fun" and before they started hating each other...not really, but before the egos and conflicts started. HELP was the transition album of sorts, and then we were all gifted with Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Peppers, with Magical Mystery Tour as a final nod to that "era" pf the band. Absolutely amazing.

Imagine any band today writing and recording on average two great albums every year! Unpossible.

I bonded more with Rubber Soul than with Revolver, but Revolver is an amazing album.

And I too miss George. :(

Yeah, I had just purchased this from emusic earlier in the day:

81ZwbvS5Z6L._SL1500_.jpg

Here's the track listing/line-up:

Disc: 1
1. Introduction
2. Old Brown Shoe (Conan O Brien)
3. I Me Mine (Britt Daniel from Spoon)
4. Ballad of Sir Frankie Crisp (Let It Roll)(Jonathan Bates feat. Dhani Harrison)
5. Something (Norah Jones)
6. Got My Mind Set On You (Brandon Flowers from The Killers)
7. If Not For You (Heartless Bastards)
8. Be Here Now (Ian Astbury from The Cult)
9. Wah-Wah (Nick Valensi from The Strokes)
10. If I Needed Someone (Jamestown Revival)
11. Art of Dying (Black Rebel Motorcycle Club)
12. Savoy Truffle (Dhani Harrison)
13. For You Blue (Chase Cohl)
14. Beware of Darkness (Ann Wilson)

Disc: 2
1. Let It Down (Dhani Harrison)
2. Give Me Love (Give Me Peace On Earth) (Ben Harper)
3. Here Comes The Sun (Perry Farrell from Jane's Addiction)
4. What Is Life ( Weird Al Yankovic)
5. Behind That Locked Door (Norah Jones)
6. My Sweet Lord (Brian Wilson)
7. Isn't It A Pity (The Black Ryder)
8. Any Road (Butch Walker)
9. I'd Have You Anytime (Karen Elson)
10. Taxman (Cold War Kids)
11. It's All Too Much (The Flaming Lips)
12. Handle With Care (Brandon Flowers, Britt Daniel, Dhani Harrison, Jonathan Bates, Wayne Coyne, and Weird Al Yankovic)
13. All Things Must Pass (Ann Wilson, Dhani Harrison, Karen Elson and Norah Jones)

I'm a big fan of Dhani's work on these albums. I'm not saying he as good as his dad, but he's really great.

With Ben Harper and Joseph Arthur...great raw songs album.
51%2Bsou7AuhL._SS500_PJStripe-Robin-Large,TopLeft,0,0.jpg

Then with his band thenewno2:
Thenewno2_-_You_Are_Here%2C_album_cover.JPG

...especially this one:
Thefearofmissingout.jpg

I gotta get that tribute album. Lots of my favorite musicians on there

There are even a few whose work I'm not a fan of, but they do a nice job here...like Brandon Flowers of the Killers. The Concert for George was the show for his contemporaries to pay their tribute to a friend and colleague, while George Fest is a great reflection of George's lasting impact on music. From the Beatles and beyond.

One of the those shows that got away...George's tour of Japan with Clapton on guitar. I was so hoping that was coming to the U.S., but George wasn't up for it I guess.

Yeah, I had just purchased this from emusic earlier in the day:

81ZwbvS5Z6L._SL1500_.jpg

Here's the track listing/line-up:

Disc: 1
1. Introduction
2. Old Brown Shoe (Conan O Brien)
3. I Me Mine (Britt Daniel from Spoon)
4. Ballad of Sir Frankie Crisp (Let It Roll)(Jonathan Bates feat. Dhani Harrison)
5. Something (Norah Jones)
6. Got My Mind Set On You (Brandon Flowers from The Killers)
7. If Not For You (Heartless Bastards)
8. Be Here Now (Ian Astbury from The Cult)
9. Wah-Wah (Nick Valensi from The Strokes)
10. If I Needed Someone (Jamestown Revival)
11. Art of Dying (Black Rebel Motorcycle Club)
12. Savoy Truffle (Dhani Harrison)
13. For You Blue (Chase Cohl)
14. Beware of Darkness (Ann Wilson)

Disc: 2
1. Let It Down (Dhani Harrison)
2. Give Me Love (Give Me Peace On Earth) (Ben Harper)
3. Here Comes The Sun (Perry Farrell from Jane's Addiction)
4. What Is Life ( Weird Al Yankovic)
5. Behind That Locked Door (Norah Jones)
6. My Sweet Lord (Brian Wilson)
7. Isn't It A Pity (The Black Ryder)
8. Any Road (Butch Walker)
9. I'd Have You Anytime (Karen Elson)
10. Taxman (Cold War Kids)
11. It's All Too Much (The Flaming Lips)
12. Handle With Care (Brandon Flowers, Britt Daniel, Dhani Harrison, Jonathan Bates, Wayne Coyne, and Weird Al Yankovic)
13. All Things Must Pass (Ann Wilson, Dhani Harrison, Karen Elson and Norah Jones)

I'm a big fan of Dhani's work on these albums. I'm not saying he as good as his dad, but he's really great.

With Ben Harper and Joseph Arthur...great raw songs album.
51%2Bsou7AuhL._SS500_PJStripe-Robin-Large,TopLeft,0,0.jpg

Then with his band thenewno2:
Thenewno2_-_You_Are_Here%2C_album_cover.JPG

...especially this one:
Thefearofmissingout.jpg
Ben Harper is amazing too. I had the opportunity to see him open for...idk, someone years ago. I was blown away.

Ben Harper is amazing too. I had the opportunity to see him open for...idk, someone years ago. I was blown away.

I caught him opening for DMB at SPAC in 1996 I think. They were great, but I didn't appreciate at the time. A year later on our honeymoon in Cape Cod I heard who I thought was him in a shop in Provincetown and confirmed it with one of the shop people. I got to liking Ben, but didn't pick up an album until after we relocated to NoVa with Burn to Shine. He's been a favorite ever since. I've got all of his albums and most of those that he collaborated/guested on. Didn't get to see him until 2015 at Wolftrap in VA...holy fucking shit was it worth the wait. It was the Innocent Criminals reunion tour and they were fucking spectacular. At one point he stopped the band and got the crowd dead quiet and sang away from the mic...just his pipes and the acoustics of the shed...gospel tune and it was awesome.

Ben is the man. I'd gladly take his guitaring ability OR his songwriting chops, OR his voice...but this guys owns all three!

The Avett Brothers were on Colbert a few weeks ago and did a great version of Give Me Love, Give Me Peace on Earth.

I was afraid it was going to go into a bluegrass breakdown that would not fit the song; they were able to avoid that and still make it unique.

They don't really do the bluegrass thing in any traditional sense. The instrumentation is there, but they also have the cello and electric bass..decidedly UN-bluegrass instruments.

I caught him opening for DMB at SPAC in 1996 I think. They were great, but I didn't appreciate at the time. A year later on our honeymoon in Cape Cod I heard who I thought was him in a shop in Provincetown and confirmed it with one of the shop people. I got to liking Ben, but didn't pick up an album until after we relocated to NoVa with Burn to Shine. He's been a favorite ever since. I've got all of his albums and most of those that he collaborated/guested on. Didn't get to see him until 2015 at Wolftrap in VA...holy fucking shit was it worth the wait. It was the Innocent Criminals reunion tour and they were fucking spectacular. At one point he stopped the band and got the crowd dead quiet and sang away from the mic...just his pipes and the acoustics of the shed...gospel tune and it was awesome.

Ben is the man. I'd gladly take his guitaring ability OR his songwriting chops, OR his voice...but this guys owns all three!
Yup...now that you said it...he was opening for DMB when I saw him too.

When I started getting back into playing last year, I picked up a Beatles songbook and have been trying to learn a song or two a week to try to get back up to speed. I enjoy playing the George songs more than the others for some reason.

I bought one of those at the Lego store in Mall of America last week. Then sat up way too late building it.

Back