Mushrooms

Jbird

Kick Henry Jackassowski
So, the little bit of brown stuff I have to wash off from my store-bought mushrooms...is that dirt or poop?

Not that it makes a difference to me, I'll still eat 'em :)

I have a friend who used to work at a mushroom-growing place in northern Indiana (I think a Campbell's facility) and he said it was disgusting, he'd never eat another mushroom again. The times we'd go out for pizza, mushrooms on it were a no-no :(

So, the little bit of brown stuff I have to wash off from my store-bought mushrooms...is that dirt or poop?

Not that it makes a difference to me, I'll still eat 'em :)

I have a friend who used to work at a mushroom-growing place in northern Indiana (I think a Campbell's facility) and he said it was disgusting, he'd never eat another mushroom again. The times we'd go out for pizza, mushrooms on it were a no-no :(

It's probably a very strong ratio of poop to soil.

Mushrooms grow in cow shit. If you've ever driven through Kennett Square, PA in the summertime, you'll know exactly what I mean. It is second only (and on a good day, I'd give it the #1 spot) to the smell of a rancid chicken-house. Ask @Gary Blanchard , I bet he has witnessed both of those and can vouch.

You can smell the town from miles away.

I don't eat mushrooms. Period. Not on pizza, not on anything. Not because of what they're grown in, but because I just don't like them. Something about the consistency that just skeeves me out.

I'm sure the little brown particles are fine to eat, but me? I'd rinse them off.
:wink:

You are supposed to brush off the brown bits,not wash them.
I love all mushrooms except morels.
Porchini cream sauce over farfalle. :js:

probably poo...most likely the guy packing your shrooms didn't wash his hands after doing number two and you know the thin single ply toilet paper they got in those places.....

You are the ONLY other person in the world whom I have met that knows what I mean by that.

Huh.

What killed it for me was the canned mushrooms that looked and felt like gray soggy pencil erasers.
When you bite into something that is supposed to be food, it shouldn't squirt out from between your teeth and fly across the room.
My mom used to put those in spaghetti sauce. I would just have butter and Parmesan on my pasta instead.

I will admit that I've had fresh, very dry mushrooms on a pizza. I just couldn't be bothered to take them off. It felt like part of the box was stuck to the cheese. It didn't taste much better either.

Depends on the shroom. They don’t all grow in poo or dirt. But always wash them anyway.

An interesting read.

http://wlrn.org/post/how-sleepy-pennsylvania-town-grew-americas-mushroom-capital

mushroom.jpg

Yummy.

My Dad used to pull off the Bronx River Parkway run into the woods and come back with pounds of mushrooms. You gotta know what you're picking ,he did. Frickin Italians.

this is basically just a myth. you can wash them without any negative effects, just don't soak them.

You can at most lightly rinse them, but you'll have to dry them if you do or they wont brown or become slimy.

Best is just brush them, and keep them dry. It's not like rinsing them nakes them more clean

I just lightly rinse them, I don't soak 'em.

About the only thing I have that I could brush them with are toothbrushes :lol: My dentist gives me a new one every 6 months, but sometimes I don't change 'em out so now I have extra.

My Dad used to pull off the Bronx River Parkway run into the woods and come back with pounds of mushrooms. You gotta know what you're picking ,he did. Frickin Italians.

I can relate! I am of Polish/Lithuanian descent, and my dad taught me to pick when I was a little kid. We used to go out picking ceps & boletus varieties. Some varieties were better tasting than others, and we never ate them raw. A lot of times you would find a shroom and then have to leave it because the stem was hollow from worms and nematodes. That usually meant that the crown was full of them. My mom made this dish of potatoes & shrooms that is so f'n yummy. I've come close to recreating it a couple times, but not spot on.....yet.

The one thing that killed my shroom picking area was the City parks & rec. It was a wooded park, a couple hundred acres. Back in those days, people would forage in there almost year round, there was tons of wild blueberries, blackberries and strawberries. The brambles were pretty thick. This woodland had some roads in it, and picnic areas all over. There is also an elementary school right on the edge of the woods. Some little kid wandered away from the school and scared the crap out of them. The kid was found in the park, playing hide and seek in the brambles. That summer, parks & rec basically stripped the topsoil out of there along with the berry patches and everything else.

Back