Muscle Shoals doc (streaming on Netflix).

Dogsinplastic

avuncular to no one
I watched this yesterday while I home sick...worst seasonal allergies I've experienced even though I'm taking Claritin.

Anyway, it was great document of their contribution to the history of music. There was a lot of information I never knew. The original band, the Swampers deserves greater recognition. Despite the bullshit that the RnR HoF is, if the Stax boys and the Wrecking Crew are in the Swampers deserve to be there too. We've all heard them a ton whether we knew it or not.

On a related note, it turns out only two of the Funk Brothers have been inducted...that's messed up.

As to the documentary though, it's interesting in the way that Sound City was. I realize how important the business side of things are, but I tend to not think about it. As such I always think that the creative side is the primary driver, forgetting that "hits" keep the train rolling for the bands, producers, studios, session players, etc. Part of my delusion is that I tend to like whole albums and my favorite albums rarely have real big hits and even if they do, my favorite songs are rarely those tunes. But between Rick Hall being all about the business and winning the hits war and even Jimmy Johnson becoming the producer at the Muscle Shoals Sound Studio, you get the reality of what drives the the business and allows people to maintain a career. Fascinating and sad at the same time...for me and my utopic notions anyway.

Last edited:
I really loved it. I hope the Wrecking Crew finally gets released and possibly more movies of this kind get made.

So I finally got around to watching it. It was awesome. There was so much more than just the great music being made. The location of the deep south in the midst of segregation and how that all just went away when those guys were making music, it didn't matter if you were black, white or purple, you just made some killer music. I liked how so many people thought the studio band was black, that was pretty funny. It was also cool seeing David Hood, its easy to see where Patterson got his talent.

So I finally got around to watching it. It was awesome. There was so much more than just the great music being made. The location of the deep south in the midst of segregation and how that all just went away when those guys were making music, it didn't matter if you were black, white or purple, you just made some killer music. I liked how so many people thought the studio band was black, that was pretty funny. It was also cool seeing David Hood, its easy to see where Patterson got his talent.
I've watched it 3 times already. WHile I really enjoyed Sound City this one was a better story and to be honest I enjoyed the music more. If I had a place to pick to record in where money was no object I'd want to try one of those two studios to do one of my albums in.

I've watched it 3 times already. WHile I really enjoyed Sound City this one was a better story and to be honest I enjoyed the music more. If I had a place to pick to record in where money was no object I'd want to try one of those two studios to do one of my albums in.

I loved Sound City, but you are right this one had a much better story. I would say I like the music the same from both though both of them had music I grew up with, but Sound City also had some music that was "my" music, not the music I listened too with my parents. Not to say I don't love those old tunes, but they weren't really "mine" if that makes any sense.

Another good music documentary to check out is 20 Feet From Stardom. It's about the backup singers.

That's great film with some great stories. Another one not to be missed is 'Standing in the Shadows of Motown', about the Funk Brothers, the guys behind all the Barry Gordy Motown music.

That's great film with some great stories. Another one not to be missed is 'Standing in the Shadows of Motown', about the Funk Brothers, the guys behind all the Barry Gordy Motown music.

I thought everyone had seen this already or I would have mentioned it again. I had started a thread about 20 Feet from Stardom, but no one cared...:cry:

SISM is actually my favorite because of all of the full length performances. The soundtrack is stellar with pretty much nothing but top notch performances. It's what's sorely missing from all of the other music documentaries I've seen.

I thought everyone had seen this already or I would have mentioned it again. I had started a thread about 20 Feet from Stardom, but no one cared...:cry:

SISM is actually my favorite because of all of the full length performances. The soundtrack is stellar with pretty much nothing but top notch performances. It's what's sorely missing from all of the other music documentaries I've seen.
I may not have commented, but I saw your thread and I cared.

I just watched the documentary. Enjoyed the Hell out of it.
Damn Rick Hall had some shit go down in his life.His mom,brother,wife,dad,sad shit..

Back