Murray Kuun Stardust

Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member

http://www.destroyallguitars.com/new-arrivals-guitars/item/12-murray-kuun-stardust
DESCRIPTION:
The Stardust thinline, hand carved hollow body jazzy guitar. It consists of a solid wood "frame" onto which an unusual asymmetrically hand carved front, back and slinky sides are attached. It is fitted with quality hardware and a Kent Armstrong floating pickup. It also features an original Calatrava-style floating bridge and a deco-style headstock. Spruce and sapele are the main woods used for this model.

The original Stardust was conceived and built in 2013, completed in January 2014. 100% handmade and handcarved, it took over 2 months of work using mainly hand tools. The guitar features some very unusual asymmetrical sinuous 3D hand carving front and back.

Murray Kuun will be taking orders for upto 7 (max) derivative Stardust models. At first glance, they will be almost identical to the original and can ordered in a variety of tonewoods.

SPECS OF THE ORIGINAL GUITAR:
- An Italian spruce soundboard
- Sapele mahogany back, sides and neck
- Ebony fingerboard and tailpiece
- Tamboti slinky side decorative binding strips

- The very unusual bridge is made from sapele and ebony
- The headstock features a typical Murray Kuun "deco" detail
- A floating Kent Armstrong pure jazz pickup provides augmentation to the acoustic tone

Don't know whether I really, really like it, or really, really want to take a blowtorch to it.

OK, so after reading the description and watching the video, I am leaning more toward the blowtorch.

What the description and video DOESN'T tell me is the reasoning and resulting benefits of the design in the first place (other than it's unusual, in which that word was used three times in the copy), and the video leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to the guitar's capabilities. The knobs look stoopid, too...

Throw in the less-than-justified asking price?

Torch.

Back