Mr. Spock

This one made me tear up.
B-4n6EcUYAAZ02o.jpg

As much as I feel like I shouldn't share this here I will anyway. When I was a kid I felt like an outcast and a nerd and never had many friends. Star Trek was an escape for me and it always made me dream of a better world. This show meant so much to me and I'm not embarrassed to say I have been brought to tears more than once today. To me it was so much more than a tv show.
No shame in that. His character single handedly legitimized that shows attempts to incorporate real life lessons into its episodes. Those lessons weren't always subtle, or popular, but they were a risky element to incorporate in those days, and Roddenberry deserves much credit for having the balls and the sense of social responsibility to be so bold.

Just yesterday, my daughter pointed out to me at a stop light, the sticker on the back window of the truck in front of us. At first glance, it was a standard "SD" San Diego Padres logo, but she pointed out that it beautifully incorporated the number 19 into the graphic. She noticed it and knew what it meant.

I found myself, a 6'4" 280 lb grown man, sitting at a stop light in a little white FIAT, crying.

People don't have to be family or friends to have a very real impact on our lives. It says a lot about who we are, when the passing of someone whom we may have never even met causes us to grieve. There may be hope for us after all.

As much as I feel like I shouldn't share this here I will anyway. When I was a kid I felt like an outcast and a nerd and never had many friends. Star Trek was an escape for me and it always made me dream of a better world. This show meant so much to me and I'm not embarrassed to say I have been brought to tears more than once today. To me it was so much more than a tv show.

Right there with you, brother.

I've been avoiding this thread, because Star Trek was such an important part of my formative years, and I didn't want to deal with Leonard Nimoy's passing just yet. Being a rather logical thinker (not on Mr. Spock's level though), I always identified with Spock, so this is a sad time.

Back