Moving cross country - again.

el diablo

I'll take an A for $1000, Alex.
So boys and girls, I need advice on how to best move my 10 or so geetars, 2 amps, a shitload of photo gear, 2 top end bicycles, and crap. The geetars are my biggest worry. I suppose I could get a hitch for the Vue and drag them myself, but i'm really not crazy about that idea.

I throw myself at your stinking feet seeking 411.

Last edited:
Fortunately I only had to move from California to Vegas last year and I suppose I could have had the moving company take my gear along with the furniture but I just couldn't bring myself to trust anyone to do it but me. We only have one vehicle but fortunately it's a crew cab pickup so I managed to fit all 15 guitars, 5 amps, 2 extension cabs and a PA into it. I even had enough room left for my wife as long as she didn't move around to much. I wish I could offer you some words of relief but if you're any where near as OCD as I am then their probably aren't any.idn_smilie

I wish I could offer you some words of relief but if you're any where near as OCD as I am then their probably aren't any.
I am a total OCD. And, we have a 106lb dog with us, further robbing us of precious space in the SUV. We re going to liquidate almost everything else, but even getting a U Haul for what's left is around 3K. Looking into PODS.

I'm lucky that I got a stipend to cover relocation from my new job. I just hired Mayflower and I'm having them take care of everything…

I'd go with a pod. You pack it yourself and no fucking mover touches your shit. pack it well and everything should be fine.

PODS3.jpg

I'd go with a pod. You pack it yourself and no fucking mover touches your shit. pack it well and everything should be fine.

PODS3.jpg
But would YOU send yer geetars in that?
I sent some geetars with a very large reputable mover out here to Cali, but worried every night about them. I just envision PodZilla slinging this glorified tupperware container around like a.. Tupperware container. Not that Billy Bob and Hiram from name your mover are anymore caring about anyone's stuff.

But would YOU send yer geetars in that?

In their cases, packed by me....sure. Of course I'd put desiccant packs in the cases if they were going to be stored for a while. Are you worried about damage, theft, what? I'd certainly use a pod over a traditional mover. The pods I saw recently looked pretty damn sturdy to me.

I only moved 400 miles, but I loaded my instruments in my car, drove to the new place, took a plane back home so I could drive the UHaul truck. For cross-country, that personally-packed Pod seems a good idea.

I agree with the Pod as well as moving mom. I was fortunate that my mom didn't ask me to move back home. I did keep in touch with her and she was 5-5.5 hour plane across the ocean. Fortunately she was self sufficient and lived to a wonderful 91 years of age.

Well, you could rent a truck just for you and them, drive it yourself, and worry every night about some crackhead stealing the truck.

Yep, moving trucks and trailers are highly targeted in hotel parking lots. I'd go with a well packed Pod.
180px-Anakin_podracer.jpg

You will love the cheaper cost of living in FL compared to CA.

Yep, moving trucks and trailers are highly targeted in hotel parking lots. I'd go with a well packed Pod.
180px-Anakin_podracer.jpg

You will love the cheaper cost of living in FL compared to CA.
Plus you'll be closer to Luna Guitars. Totally_jammin_out

Back