Moog walks into modular snyth open night and drops the mic.

jp_nyc

Kick Henry Jackassowski
Moog just announced Mother-32, a semi-modular analog synth with an integrated 32-step sequencer for $599. I’ve been thinking about buying a synth for months but put off by high prices for capable synths and not having time to research which less expensive components to buy. Guess I’ll just get one of these instead of another SG.
67bd8937182ba50a804388683ae87c8f.jpg

Reactions: Tig
I'd love to have one of those. I love the way they look as well- kinda retro futuristic or something.

That has buttons, knobs, switches and lights as well as places to plug things in - totally want one!

what the heck is one of those used for, these days?
i mean unless your in a Yes Tribute band or something.
yea, they make cool sounds, but how does that fit into playing on stage?

All the world's a stage.
you mean you're REALLY going to be plugging and unplugging patch cords and turning dials and flipping switches in the middle of a song while on stage?
doesn't make any sense. you can get a work station and pre-program the sounds you want and just hit a button on the fly.

unless, or course, you're going to go into the whole " can't get the right tone with the new ELECTRONICS, you must have the vintage oscillators and patch cords" B.S.
:bor:

in all seriousness, and being a complete philistine about these things - where's the keyboard?

It's got a built in sequencer and the button layout at the bottom doubles as a keyboard input.

But yeah most likely anybody using it would have it hooked up to another controller and/or computer.

Modulars are fun and very educational (cool to see the signal flow), and the moog stuff sounds great, though it's terribly expensive. However imo they are too much of a pain in the ass for anything outside of studio use. And even then it get's a bit tedious to say the least. So yeah I'd say I agree with mongooz :lol:

Even after watching the video I still don't get it. I just imagine sitting in a room while the synth player is twiddling knobs and we're all listening to artoo deetoo having sex with hal-1000 and we're all bored like "are you ready to play a song yet??" :annoyed:

Check out the three new mini modules that Roland announced yesterday.

$300 ea.

There's a Jupiter 8, Juno 106 and JX3P module and they look killer.

No patch cable madness, just awesome.

Even after watching the video I still don't get it. I just imagine sitting in a room while the synth player is twiddling knobs and we're all listening to artoo deetoo having sex with hal-1000 and we're all bored like "are you ready to play a song yet??" :annoyed:

that reminds me of the noodling around that was going on at the beginning of "concert for bangladesh" album decades ago.
when they stopped noodling, the crowd all applauded and everything, and then ravi announced that they "are all tuned up now".
rotflmaorotflmao

in all seriousness, and being a complete philistine about these things - where's the keyboard?

You buy your own or just use one you already have.

yea, they make cool sounds, but how does that fit into playing on stage?

Some pop and dance acts still play live. Mostly in the indy scene, but when Lady Gaga does her huge stadium tours she uses a live band with some live synths. Industrial music is still around, those bands use live synths, too.

Last edited:
Back