Modify my original Gibson Scout?

12Pack

Dyslexic b00n
Scout Amp. GA17 RVT.

I picked this up about 2 years ago at a pawn shop, literally as it walked through the door. As far as I can tell its all original, including the manual pamphlet that came with it. I dont think the tubes are original and I havent pulled them.

20180115_100454.jpg

20180115_100527.jpg

20180115_100554.jpg

Question. Notice the "lamp cord" that isnt grounded? Is it worth replacing said cord with a grounded one or will that ruin the aura of this amp?

I dont gig with it and honeslty its too much treble for my taste. I might even see if there are any modifications available for amp, but not sure I want to give up most of the original parts on it.

Yes, get a grounded cord installed......but considering you already don't dig on the tone, just know you're probably opening a can of worms on this project.

Yes, get a grounded cord installed......but considering you already don't dig on the tone, just know you're probably opening a can of worms on this project.
Yeah, and I don't think those old Gibson amps are really thought of as tone monsters either. You may be better off just selling it to a collector for an absurd price and getting an amp that you actually like. :shrug:

I think a speaker with something better than a frig magnet for a driver might help. And, DO fix that grounding issue. It’s really no fun having your lips arc-welded to your mic...

• To use the amp, I would swap the cord and probably replace the e-caps. There are some people who have modding that era of Gibson for less treble, though I would see how it sits in a band mix first.
  • To save or resale the amp, I would keep it stock in a closet, but turn it on and play through it every few months to keep whats left of the e-caps formed.
Those are the choices in my eyes...you can either eat your cake or keep it to look at.

I would replace the power cord. A few things you can do to try to make it sound better are a speaker swap and a tube swap. Those are easily reversed if you ever want to sell it.

Back