Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Hybrid Amp

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Modeling Amp

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Modern Saint

Starve your Fear, Feed your Dream!
As modeling amps become more prominent in today's world, which amp is your preference?

Single Channel Tube Amp
Multi-Channel Tube Amp
Solid State Amp
Hybrid Amp
Modeling Amp

I really liked the kemper I had but I sold it. really happy with my tube amps these days so I don't have much reason to change it up.

right now I am using a 2 channel amp but am only using one of the channels. I have a one channel amp coming this week that I am really excited about.

I suppose it depends on the situation. But these days I tend to go back and forth between 100% modeling and then a pedal board with channel switching amp.

I generally get my dirt from a pedal, so I’m leaning to single-channel tube amp. At some point in the near future I plan to sell my HT-40 and replace it with a simpler amp from Orange or Hovercraft. I’ll probably stick to tubes, but I might just say fuck it and buy one of the Crush Pro amps.

At work I use a modeling amp exclusively. At home I use them about 50/50. Live it used to be mostly modeling, but between the VHT and my AC30 I can cover a lot of ground and don't "need" my laptop and foot controller. Plus most of my live shows are acoustic anyway. :embarrassed:

Whatever works!
At home, I practice with a Superchamp (tubes and modeling) and record with software modelers.
For gigs, I use a Boss GT-8 (for amp modeling and effects) into a Classic 30. Sometimes, I skip the amp entirely.
In the past I've used just the C30 and some pedals for gigging, and when recording in pro environments, I do the same.

I love the sound of a good EL84 amp. Unfortunately, my experience with a tube-killing Mesa DC-3 Redplate-O-Matic had me wishing for a solid state backup.

The Roland Cube's Vox model is close enough and has a much better probability of running longer than 15 minutes.

Tubes are sweet and all, but atm I am actually gravitating toward non-modeling SS :eek:

More on that, later :wink:

FWIW, though, there are modelers that I like, and I still may buy or build a small tube amp down the road.

Whatever sounds good.

I've got a pair of hybrid combos that sound good and use one or both of them for rehearsals and gigging. For practice at home, my Boss Microcube does the job.

I have a tube amp I don't like that much because it can't do Marshall crunch. It's ok for mellower stuff, Eagles etc.
I have a Line 6 I like to just jump in and noodle with. Sounds fine if it's not cranked and I've used out when it doesn't have to be cranked. I've never mic'd it and wonder if it would sound good that way or not.
I have solid state Fender 25 with killer reverb that takes pedals well. I've used it mic'd and it sounds ok.
I have solid state Crate 120 I use a Crate cab with. The amp is on one side of the room and the cab on the other in stereo that love. It works great with pedals. I run both electric and acoustic through my pedal board through this amp and it just works. Sounds good in small rooms up to loud but not cranked.

If I played live and loud all the time I would invest in bigger tube equipment that fit what I was playing

Modelling amps are just placeholders for modelling software and a pair of near-field monitors. (Or in my case, some gunkware VSTs and a set of crappy external computer speakers complete with supercrappy subwoofer.)

I can never get a modeler to cut through a band mix. Single channel tube amp and a couple of pedals seem to do the trick.

Actually I've been playing with a modeling pedal (Joyo American) into a SS amp lately and loving it.

I don't think I would do anything different if I was gigging other than a bigger (watts) amp.

Last edited:
I like my Fender DRRI as my primary amp, so kind of a multi-channel tube amp, because it has a channel without effects, and one with. It also has different inputs for single coil guitars and humbucker guitars.

That said, I still like a my hybrid Tube Works amp - head and 2x cab. It's basically a 2 channel solid state amp, but it has a 12ax7 preamp tube that can be switch in for the distortion channel.

I did have a Fender Frontman 212R for a couple of years, and it sounded ok, but it just never seemed to have any character (I wouldn't quite call it "sterile'). Even with pedals, it just didn't quite do it for me.

Acoustic playing is totally different, though. For this, a solid state Crate Acoustic 125D, or a solid state Genz Benz Shenandoah 80 do just fine.

Back