minor madness jam

the_huge

Theoretically Chaotic
Some of us in the Euro's thread over at HCGJ have been having a bit of fun with a backing track that Monson posted. Thought you might like is over here, too. The backing track is called Minor Madness, and Monson said that he found it on his hard disk, but can't remember where it came from, but it isn't one of the 'Red Ant' tracks.

Backing track

My take (cheesy slide guitar)

Enjoy. :thu:

The chord progression sounds kinda familiar- kinda like Danny Gattons Harlem Nocturne, only faster.
:confused:

Some nice, understated slide playing-accurate pitches. It can't be an easy progression to play slide to but you hit all the right chords. Did you bar a minor triad to imply the maj7? That was:cool:

Thanks guys. I enjoyed both of your takes too. :thu:

Some nice, understated slide playing-accurate pitches. It can't be an easy progression to play slide to but you hit all the right chords. Did you bar a minor triad to imply the maj7? That was:cool:

Thanks. Frankly, I'm not at all sure what I did. It was a very rare excursion into playing slide in standard tuning (I almost always play in open D), and I just jammed around with it until it sort of fit. :embarrassed:

I've got a take of this, but I need a wave to mp3 converter if anyone knows where I can get a free one. I've gone through a couple of them (trial versions), & then I thought I found a good free one, but it had a virus, & kinda messed up my pc:annoyed:

Nice playing all three of you. To the_huge: your playing almost has a Dave Gilmour quality to it - very musical, I like it very much.
To continue the comparisons, Mark you sound like Gary Moore :)

Nice, mellow take, Fumbles. :thu:
It seems that you and I both had pretty similar melodic ideas. I liked your playing, which I am sure is very similar to what I would have ended up doing if I still had properly-functioning fingers. (You are new here, and I don't want to bore the regulars, so long story cut short; I took to playing slide-guitar about a year ago after accidentally busting my hand up.)

Thought that maybe the quieter sections of the guitar part were just a little too quiet though. :shrug:

sucks that you broke your hand-are you doing any physio for it? There's a saying "moving hurts, but not moving kills" you probably know this tho...

Slide is such a cool sound- Some inspiration:http://www.archive.org/details/DerekTrucksBand

Also Sonny Landreth Has some great stuff too, although I haven't heard as much of his stuff.

I was probably just picking lighter in those sections you picked up on as sounding softer- plus those low notes really carry a lot of bass frequencies, making it sound louder. Thanks for mentioning that- something to remember for next time, although I didn't exactly labor over it.:thu::embarrassed:

Next I think I'll goof around W/that metal BTstirthepot

are you doing any physio for it? There's a saying "moving hurts, but not moving kills" you probably know this tho...

Only in a very limited way. I had an operation on the hand back in December, as a result of which the bottom bone of my middle finger is held together with a plate and screws. The repaired bone has not yet sufficiently fused to be strong enough to start on the 'aggressive' physio that will be necessary to get it working properly again. I live in hope.

And yes, there are indeed plenty of inspirational slide players out there. My current favourite (some would say obsession) is the Blind Willie Johnson-inspired work of Ry Cooder, particularly the Paris, Texas film soundtrack stuff.

Some of us in the Euro's thread over at HCGJ have been having a bit of fun with a backing track that Monson posted. Thought you might like is over here, too. The backing track is called Minor Madness, and Monson said that he found it on his hard disk, but can't remember where it came from, but it isn't one of the 'Red Ant' tracks.

Enjoy. :thu:

Just played that one a few times, really cool. I'm going to do a few more :thu:

Whoa!..this takes me back. The take I did on this was actually the very first thing I played when I got my Les Paul..I recorded it the same morning the guitar arrived!..I think I was feeling the Gary Moore vibe a bit too :embarrassed:

http://www.box.net/shared/brqt7jqlq4

Very cool brother Mo. I try to do one tomorrow or over the weekend. Apparently this track came out before I joined the forum. I wish the track was longer.

Last edited:
Back