Mind-Altering Substances & The Creative Process

MarkydeSad

Token Limey
I've never taken drugs (honestly), so I've no idea if smoking dope would've made me write better songs

How about you guys? Do those 'herbal jazz cigarettes' and/or other mind-altering substances open the doors of perception in your consciousness?

It worked for The Beatles, apparently....

I can't really comment, as I am not big on drugs. I do find I am more creative in getting ideas when I drink a few beers, but less good at completing projects. I guess alcohol to free up the inhibitions and doubt that kill many ideas/stimulate creative thinking, and coffee to bring them to fruition. This is related to my job more than song writing, but I suspect there are overlaps. Those are the only drugs I really can comment on, as all my other exposure to drugs are in the vein of teenagers smoking ween behind the barn to 'try it'.

Jazz cigarettes are drugs?!?!?!?

In all seriousness, I don't think they will help you write better songs. If anything it might help to turn off the self censor in your head.

I heard a few well known musicians from the 60s comment that they would have been even better as players and writers if they had stayed sober. They would know better than me.

I think perhaps it can help you get in the mood to take on creative tasks, but IMO it would be going to far to say it improves the quality of the work.

Those are the only drugs I really can comment on, as all my other exposure to drugs are in the vein of teenagers smoking ween behind the barn to 'try it'.

Did you mean to say "smoking WEED behind the barn" or do you know about some drug that apparently never made it to the city?

:wink:

lol ^^^^

I need a clear head to create. Whenever I've been "altered" and thought I was being a genius it always turned out to be crap.

I think that the problem is many people are too uptight to be creative. There are better ways than substances to deal with that.

I'd never touch it, but it seems smack has been involved in a lot of artistic creation...and artist destruction.

For the Metal project I'm in now, this process is helpful…

1. Be well rested with a solid workout and light meal beforehand
2. Get fully tuned and sound checked
3. One shot of Knob Creek and two lite beers
4. Two pulls of a well rolled doobie
5. Wait ten minutes and….JAM!!

Bear in mind, I am 6'2" and 240 lbs so your mileage may vary.

I think it was easier to be creative back when I was altered. Writing lyrics is like pulling teeth for me these days; whereas, it used to flow like a three-beer piss when I was partaking.
Playing, OTOH, is definitely better sober.

It always comes back to the fucking curtain.

I wrote that almost a year ago and that the time it sounded really great. I still haven't been able to use the goddamn thing. :facepalm:

Results may vary, but regardless of the output, it's normally a lot of fun.

I think it's a crutch, but it's apparently an effective crutch. It's a shortcut to get around vanity and self-criticism, but I think any creator worthy of the title can come up with a self-sufficient means of accessing their creativity.

I know I write better with a little help from my friends. I think like others have mentioned, it really just knocks down you inhibitions to allow the ideas to flow more freely.

I think it's a crutch, but it's apparently an effective crutch. It's a shortcut to get around vanity and self-criticism, but I think any creator worthy of the title can come up with a self-sufficient means of accessing their creativity.

So you mean you need to grow your own stash for maximum efficiency?

Robert Smith claims they don’t. But he was also coked up out of his mind when he wrote Disintegration, which ended up on Rolling Stone’s top 500 albums list. And the Beatles got a lot more interesting after they started smoking pot and dropping acid. Sleep’s Dopesmoker obviously wouldn’t have happened without a tremendous intake of marijuana. Personally, I find that it varies wildly. But when I’m stuck on (non-musical) stuff during the day I sometimes do a hit or two of hash oil and it often helps, either because it lets me think differently or because it just mellows me out and helps be focus.

You’ll only know if you try. Obviously don’t do dumb shit like trying heroin.

Back