Might have scored the deal of the century...

Kerouac

weird musical dildo
Last year I sold my Mapex drum kit to help fund my Collings; my sister had moved in with me and I took apart my studio, since I wasn't needing it for recording. At LMA we use electronic Yamaha kits, so I didn't really see a need to keep it, especially if it meant I could get a shiny new guitar. :embarrassed:

Well, ever since Ashlee and I bought our place in Hamilton and I started planning to open my new studio, I've been searching Craigslist for a kit. More than any other instrument, you'll get more bang for your buck when you buy used, so I was trying to find a set of Mapex Pro M or Gretsch Catalina Clubs, with some hardware and some Sabian B8/B8 Pros or maybe some Zildjian ZBTs. Unfortunately all I was finding were no name cheapies, crazy expensive Tama and DW Kits, and some PDP and drum kits that people were selling used at new prices.

Last week I saw a few kits that I was interested in, but I didn't have cash freed up to make a move, but on Tuesday I managed to scrape up close to what a guy wanted for one of those kits and emailed him Wednesday, just sure the kit would be gone. Guy got back to me right away; he was the original owner, purchased them in 2004. Never gigged, home play only, and just light wear. Came with hardware and cymbals, and he was asking $1200 for the entire set-up. I asked him if he'd go for $1000 in cold hard cash if I could get them on Thursday or Friday and he said sure.

So what did I get? (Seller's pics:)

Kit_3.jpg

Kit_2.jpg
dw_5000db.jpg
zildjian.jpg

Wait, what?! :eek:

A Wood Hoop series Spaun shell pack with the same specs and sizes runs about $4k new; the cymbals, hardware (not pictured), and DW 5000 double kick pedal would be another $1200-1500 easy. Seller also had several brand new pairs of sticks and a Yamaha drum throne included in the price! I was flabbergasted; all these need are some new heads and a bit of polish. When I get them all clean and set up I'll post some better pics; it's a beautiful Tobacco Fade in satin lacquer. Wood hoops are in amazing shape; just a little rimshot wear near the strainer and some small scuffs and play wear all around.

My last year at LMA I saw a big increase in drum students and the one thing I really missed was teaching on an acoustic kit. Here at my new studio I can, so I'm really looking forward to spending some quality time with the nicest kit I've ever owned. :love:

Congrats! Some great scores on the forum this summer. That ES175, the Schecter, and now these drums.

I've never heard of that brand, but that could be because they're really nice........(and I'm not a drummer) :lol:

My kid wanted to play drums a few years back (thank God THAT phase is over), and I know cymbals are NOT cheap. (I got him a Gretsch set off of CL for cheap.)

Looks like you scored BIG-TIME.

Congratulations.

Not the best recording (and god, that backing is horrible), but the sizing is close and the series is correct:

I'm glad that the tom sizes are a bit smaller, because that will be easier to tune and control in the teaching room; we don't have very high ceilings so I really have to watch the reflections.

Here's a link to an identical kit, except it doesn't include the snare... really glad I bought used. :embarrassed: http://spaundrums.com/drumkits/vintage/custom-4pc-vintage-tobacco-fade.html

I've never heard of that brand, but that could be because they're really nice........(and I'm not a drummer) :lol:

My kid wanted to play drums a few years back (thank God THAT phase is over), and I know cymbals are NOT cheap. (I got him a Gretsch set off of CL for cheap.)

Looks like you scored BIG-TIME.

Congratulations.

Those Gretsch Catalina kits used to be an awesome bargain; I've purchased them for as little as $250 for the birch 5 piece.

Spaun got started doing custom drums and like a lot of custom builders (including DW up until the 99/00ish) they use Keller-built shells with their own proprietary solid brass lugs, double 45-degree bearing edges, and strainer/throw-offs, and assorted other pieces of hardware. They're especially well known for their lacquer finishes and their sparkle finishes, which I have the former of.

Once the room is all set up I'll get some better clips and pics.

Oh, and the Zildjian cymbals are:

A New Beat Hats
A Custom Projection crashes, pair
Mid-70's "Stamp" Ride... haven't measured it, but It looks like a 20-21"

Oh, and the Zildjian cymbals are:

A New Beat Hats
A Custom Projection crashes, pair
Mid-70's "Stamp" Ride... haven't measured it, but It looks like a 20-21"

Those New Beat hats are bloody great for recording btw. Drummer in Wasted uses a pair, and it barely needs any eq with a good sdc on it. :)

Would he have accepted warm, kinda sweaty cash too?

If I hadn't gotten my car AC fixed a few weeks ago I would have had to have asked. :embarrassed:

Good deal! I just got myself a 17 K Dark Crash btw. Can't wait to get home and try it :embarrassed:

+

Those New Beat hats are bloody great for recording btw. Drummer in Wasted uses a pair, and it barely needs any eq with a good sdc on it

Mmmmm... K Dark. :love: My buddy Luigi has some K Dark 13" hats that might be the best hats I've ever heard.

I don't know how much drum recording I'll do here in the basement, because the acoustics would be hard to nail. But when Ashlee goes on a trip out of town for a weekend and I can move them into the living room.... :idea:

Honestly I'm just glad to be able to skip the B8 Pro/ZBT route. Those are fine for students because they're inexpensive and sturdy, but I like being able to teach them about how things SHOULD sound.

I'm not too familiar with Spaun, but they sure look nice. I like the look of the hardware.

I sent them an email requesting more info and they were great, even though it was a used kit. It was built in 2002, sold in 2004. They confirmed the sizes and also that it's 100% maple shells and the 100% maple hoops.

Got them partially set up last night and I think after they get some new heads on them they'll sound GREAT. Cymbals were nice, especially the ride which is really loud. Based off the logo I can safely date it to the mid-70s.

Back