MIDI floor sound module for KEYTAR!

GilmourD

Eater of Worlds
Staff member
I guess this is the right place for this.

So, the singer in my band also plays keytar. Yeah, we have a bit of an '80s pop thing going on.

Her current setup involves taking the MIDI out of they keytar into one of those Line6 adapters for fruitDevice which should has velcro'd to the keytar. It actually sounds pretty good but the physical connection is lackluster. Plus the software she's using doesn't have presets, so she has to search for her sounds between every song.

So, I suggested that she go floor-based with something that's the MIDI sound module version of, say, one of those little Digitech RP multi-effects. Basically, something that would take MIDI input, generate the actual sounds, and give her control of presets and whatnot with her foot.

I just have no idea what I'm actually looking for. LOL

Any of you guys have any suggestions?

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

I'd suggest she actually needs 2 things. A Midi pedal for selecting patches and a Midi Sound Module for the generation of sounds thereof. I have no idea what is currently out there but I've been hankering after a Yamaha MU50 sound module to use with a Midi Keyboard for years. There's one on ebay now in the US.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Yamaha-MU50-...-Midi-Synthesizer-Mu-50-From-Japan/1650175324
https://www.ebay.com/p/Yamaha-MU50-...-Midi-Synthesizer-Mu-50-From-Japan/1650175324
No doubt there are much better options out there, someone like @OGG can probably tell you a lot more about keyboard stuff like this.

Reactions: OGG
Your advice is right on the money.

I have never seen a unit like what the OP describes as an all in one floor based solution. Guitar Synth units are like that, but they're for guirars... with synth pick ups.

A decent stand alone or rack mount module and a minimal MIDI floor switcher is the standard, and is an easy set up that offers boat loads of choices.

If they already have an iDevice in the mix, the extra module isn't needed. Software like Mainstage has fantastic built in virtual synths that will blow your mind, and offer way more sound options. Adding a simple USB foot controller (with as few or as many buttons as you choose) is all you need. If you use Mainstage for example, all of your presets can be preloaded along with your setlist. A simple two switch (up/down) controller to cycle forward or backward is all you'd need.

That's the way I'd go if I was running any type of Apple device. Easy, cheap, bulletproof.

Your advice is right on the money.

I have never seen a unit like what the OP describes as an all in one floor based solution. Guitar Synth units are like that, but they're for guirars... with synth pick ups.

A decent stand alone or rack mount module and a minimal MIDI floor switcher is the standard, and is an easy set up that offers boat loads of choices.

If they already have an iDevice in the mix, the extra module isn't needed. Software like Mainstage has fantastic built in virtual synths that will blow your mind, and offer way more sound options. Adding a simple USB foot controller (with as few or as many buttons as you choose) is all you need. If you use Mainstage for example, all of your presets can be preloaded along with your setlist. A simple two switch (up/down) controller to cycle forward or backward is all you'd need.

That's the way I'd go if I was running any type of Apple device. Easy, cheap, bulletproof.
Like I said above, a big part of the issue is the fidgetiness of the physical connection wit the iDevice. If she moves the wrong way it becomes unplugged and sometimes requires a reboot. If happened in the middle of a gig once.

I'll look into modules like above and a small MIDI foot controller.

You lost me at MIDI, then sound module and then Keytar. I think I could offer you better advice on heart surgery than any of those 3 topics :grin:

Like I said above, a big part of the issue is the fidgetiness of the physical connection wit the iDevice. If she moves the wrong way it becomes unplugged and sometimes requires a reboot. If happened in the middle of a gig once.

I'll look into modules like above and a small MIDI foot controller.

Which end is fidgety? The connection at the Keytar, or at the iDevice? What type of iDevice? Is it a MacBook (preferred) or an iPad?

I'm sure there's a way to better secure it whichever the case.

Or, get a current generation Keytar Controller with Bluetooth, and cut the cord. Most newer stuff has Bluetooth MIDI. I've used it on my Juno Gi and it works great.

Which end is fidgety? The connection at the Keytar, or at the iDevice? What type of iDevice? Is it a MacBook (preferred) or an iPad?

I'm sure there's a way to better secure it whichever the case.

Or, get a current generation Keytar Controller with Bluetooth, and cut the cord. Most newer stuff has Bluetooth MIDI. I've used it on my Juno Gi and it works great.
The iDevice end. It's an iPod Touch or an iPhone. I forget which. That's why I was thinking of getting something floor controlled since the MIDI plug is fine and much more robust than the 30-pin connector and it wouldn't require buying a whole new keytar cuz she's comfortable with the one she has. Plus it would give her the ability to just change things with a tap of her foot.

Back