MicroCenter on 3090 Launch Day

I watched Linus Tech Tips play on an 88" 8k TV yesterday. He built a rig with a 3090, i9-9900 (or whatever the top one is) and only 16GB RAM. It looked great (Although I was watching in 4k) but is it really necessary yet?
My son's 2080 Super build on his 25" 144k monitor at 4k looks stellar.

I watched Linus Tech Tips play on an 88" 8k TV yesterday. He built a rig with a 3090, i9-9900 (or whatever the top one is) and only 16GB RAM. It looked great (Although I was watching in 4k) but is it really necessary yet?
MSFS 2020 is a real frame rate hog on ultra settings. the 2080 can barely handle it at 4K.

Back in the 2000s people were custom building overclocked rigs with peltiers, water coolers, and banks of fans. Over time people drifted to consoles and people were saying PC gaming was dead. Then game companies started deep discounting PC games on Steam and people went back to PC gaming to save money. Now people are obsessed with building high end gaming PCs and spending thousands of dollars on gaming rigs again.

Back in the 2000s people were custom building overclocked rigs with peltiers, water coolers, and banks of fans. Over time people drifted to consoles and people were saying PC gaming was dead. Then game companies started deep discounting PC games on Steam and people went back to PC gaming to save money. Now people are obsessed with building high end gaming PCs and spending thousands of dollars on gaming rigs again.
Not sure it ever really stopped... Extreme overclocking is less prevalent these days, though, due to built-in clock boosts and diminishing returns.

Not sure it ever really stopped... Extreme overclocking is less prevalent these days, though, due to built-in clock boosts and diminishing returns.
Extreme overclocking is still very much a thing and usually involves liquid nitrogen...go take a look at Gamer's Nexus on YouTube...

Extreme overclocking is still very much a thing and usually involves liquid nitrogen...go take a look at Gamer's Nexus on YouTube...
Well, yeah, but that's Tech Jesus doing it. I mean at home, like when I overclocked my brother's Celeron 300A to 450+. Skylake and up Intel chips need crazy cooling for overclocking like that and Zen-based AMD stuff hits a ceiling around where the factory boost is and just draws more power on average.

I did that! Melted one when the cooler fans crapped out...
Ahh, the days before they had a max temperature where they'd shut off.

The bracket for my Corsair H115i broke and popped off the chip back in January. My ryzen 3600 shut off when it hit max temp.

Most of my games are currently 120+ FPS at 1080p on High or Ultra. Not really trying 1440p/4k/8k since I don't have a display to accommodate that yet. I ended up largely switching because my favourite last gen console games were getting frame capped at 30 FPS and it really hurt the experience. The new consoles will all be 60+ FPS out the gate, so that's a big selling point for sure.

Back