Micro toggle switch source?

Maybe I missed it....
What model amp is it?
Is cascaded gain staging an option for more gain here?
You know how I said I wasn't gonna do this?

Well, I was bored tonight and looked at the schematic again. I realized I could pull that triode stage out that's being used as a cathode follower without horking up the board. You know, just to try it.

Holy crap, that is insanely good sounding!

But loud. Ridiculously loud.

So I horked up the board anyway and sliced in a master volume so the gain is actually usable before the amp goes into complete oscillation. I also tamed the gain a little by reducing the current through the 2nd triode.

Tomorrow I have to drill a hole for the master vol pot and test further, but this little amp roars.

I also want to make a baffle and mount a 12" Black Widow. If my measurements are correct it'll fit with the speaker front mounted. Going to need to make a baffle and order some grill cloth.

This is gonna be one custom little Class 5.

You know how I said I wasn't gonna do this?

Well, I was bored tonight and looked at the schematic again. I realized I could pull that triode stage out that's being used as a cathode follower without horking up the board. You know, just to try it.

Holy crap, that is insanely good sounding!

But loud. Ridiculously loud.

So I horked up the board anyway and sliced in a master volume so the gain is actually usable before the amp goes into complete oscillation. I also tamed the gain a little by reducing the current through the 2nd triode.

Tomorrow I have to drill a hole for the master vol pot and test further, but this little amp roars.

I also want to make a baffle and mount a 12" Black Widow. If my measurements are correct it'll fit with the speaker front mounted. Going to need to make a baffle and order some grill cloth.

This is gonna be one custom little Class 5.
Atta Boy!!! That's what I wanted to hear. Lol
I've never played that particular model, but I hear (read) a lot of good things about it.

Atta Boy!!! That's what I wanted to hear. Lol
I've never played that particular model, but I hear (read) a lot of good things about it.
Black Shadow speaker ordered.

Looking at grill cloth. Might change from what's installed on there right now, just not sure what direction to go.

Black Shadow speaker ordered.

Looking at grill cloth. Might change from what's installed on there right now, just not sure what direction to go.
What's on it now? Black?
Maybe go with salt and pepper like a Bluesbreaker?
Who make the Black Shadow speaker? I'm not familiar with them.

What's on it now? Black?
Maybe go with salt and pepper like a Bluesbreaker?
Who make the Black Shadow speaker? I'm not familiar with them.
It has salt and pepper. Looks like this:
oosbrk7aguukoxikhavl.jpg

I've got the baffle off and am going to work on it today. I'm not going to have the black piece w/Marshall across the top. I'll have the logo, but the entire front will be grill cloth. I don't want to deal with the piping.

The Black Shadow is a MESA branded Celestion. Reading about it, it sounds like there were changes made to it for MESA... I don't know, I just know it sounds great. The one I'm running in my cab is 8 ohms, but the Class 5 is spec'ed at 16. I ordered a 16, so I hope it's not drastically different, I don't think it will be.

I'm also planning on opening up the back a bit so it's more of an open back combo.

Probably best to start an amp mod thread, lol - I've got pics of what I've done so far anyway.

I've got the baffle off and am going to work on it today. I'm not going to have the black piece w/Marshall across the top. I'll have the logo, but the entire front will be grill cloth. I don't want to deal with the piping.

I would think the logo would look best on black like it is now so, I vote black grill cloth.

Are you saying You are doing all grill cloth so you don't need the piping across where grill cloth meets tolex with the logo on it or, no piping anywhere?

Back