Micro Terror to Tiny Terror?

jp_nyc

Kick Henry Jackassowski
A local guy is selling a Tiny Terror for $325 and I’m thinking about buying it. I like the Micro Terror, but it doesn’t have enough gain and mine is as noisy as a mis-wired strat through the high-gain channel on a 5150. I also find the Micro Terror a little too scooped and dark. I listened to a lot of YouTube videos and I’m not sure if the Tiny Terror would be better or just more of the same. Thoughts?

I bought it. Hilariously, it sounds better, has more gain, and is significantly quieter than the Micro Terror. I’m sure it can get a few DB louder if I open it up, but the important part is that can I roll up the gain knob without the volume jumping and the amp hissing.

The Micro is what it is.... a usable amp in a teeeeeny tiny micro package. It's not a be-all-end-all amp, but the Micro Dark I have is very usable and fits in my gig bag with spare picks and cables in case I need a backup amp. And I discovered that it will even run off my pedalboard power supply, so there's that. :helper:

Congrats!! I have the micro dark terror, which as previously mentioned is a great little backup amp. I haven't needed it at a gig yet but it's nice to know it's there if I do.

I had no idea I could power it off of my board....that makes it even more versatile as a backup then.

A local guy is selling a Tiny Terror for $325 and I’m thinking about buying it. I like the Micro Terror, but it doesn’t have enough gain and mine is as noisy as a mis-wired strat through the high-gain channel on a 5150. I also find the Micro Terror a little too scooped and dark. I listened to a lot of YouTube videos and I’m not sure if the Tiny Terror would be better or just more of the same. Thoughts?

HNAD!

I just went a very similar route over the course of the past month: stumbled across a cheap Micro Terror while looking for a Dark Terror (for the effects loop); liked it but swapped out tubes to change the sound; stumbled across a stupid cheap Tiny Terror and bought it. Very happy with it without even swapping tubes yet.

You can help the noise in the Micro Terror by replacing its tube with a 5751. It changes the character of the gain to be more classic sounding and "spongier" I guess, but definitely in a good way. I currently have a newer Sovtek 12AX7LPS (hat tip to GilmourD for the suggestion) in it that I really like: low noise, strong gain, clean and warm sound.

Back