Hot or Not? MESA Mark V 25 - want

wagdog

Ack
Hot or not? I want one.
mark-5-25-head-left.jpg

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Mark_Series/mark-5-25/mark-5-25.html

I would rather have a Mark I like that. A 25 watt Mark I head would be the perfect amp for me.

Would have preferred 6V6GT's. But that's the first REAL tempting amp from mesa for me in a long time.

Okay.... I found my solution.

JJ makes a tube called the EL-844. A slightly lower power output and earlier breakup. Sounds like a cross between an EL-84 and a 6V6 to me. DANCING-banana

I'm all over this amp.

Man, that demo sounds great.

Guys, I was never an el84 fan myself 'til I got my 5:25 - it sounds so good that I really couldn't tell what kind of output tubes it had. The cleans are just so nice and chimey and overdrive is smooth with a nice edge on it.

What I don't like about my MESA is how hot they run the el84's: 400v on the plate at about 32ma of bias current. Even with the coldest JJ's I could get it was still over biased. I ended up modding the bias circuit on mine. MESA says it's fine running that hot, but I went through a couple pairs of MESA branded el84's in days. I switched to JJ's and modded the bias circuit, haven't had a problem since.

Anyway, if they're running 'em that hot in this amp, it may be something to consider.

I love my Express 550 for the 6L6 deal but that one? OMG. I've been lusting for and EL 84 amp. I want so bad.

Back