McMansions from Hell

McMansions are an ostentatious showing of arrogance and indifference.

NOBODY needs a home as big as some of these are. I recently was in an 18,000 ft2 monster. they had one child. the mechanical system looked the engine room of the starship Enterprise. The renovation work took over three years.

My little 2 bedroom 1400 ft2 workers cottage would have fit into the great room with room to spare to walk around.

How much natural resources is this thing sucking up? How much electricity?

Even the cookie cutter McMansions are resource hogs.

But a 5000 ft2 house sells for lots more than a well thought out 2500 ft2 house.

McMansions are, at the root of it, bad because they are bad taste inflicted on the public. I can choose never to eat a Subway $5 footlong. But my visual field is still polluted by someone else's cathedral to bad style writ in beige and drywall.

Life is short and the universe is cold and indifferent. We owe it to ourselves to fill our environment with stuff that is beautiful, interesting, and weird. Don't settle for an oppressive bland, ugly reality. Fugliness is a crime against consciousness.

I might be moving to a midwestern town in the next year and my wife and I are discussing what we want in a house. We are torn between buying a mcmansion-like thing on a couple of acres by the golf course or buying 10 or so acres of woods and building something a little smaller (but not small, maybe 3-4k sq feet, 5 bedrooms) with a full solar setup and no laws preventing me from putting up a small pole barn for beer making. Either way, it seems, my days of looking down my neighbor's nightgown are over.

I might be moving to a midwestern town in the next year and my wife and I are discussing what we want in a house. We are torn between buying a mcmansion-like thing on a couple of acres by the golf course or buying 10 or so acres of woods and building something a little smaller (but not small, maybe 3-4k sq feet, 5 bedrooms) with a full solar setup and no laws preventing me from putting up a small pole barn for beer making.

You can't make your own beer in a McMansion. Local ordinances require you buy kegs of Bud Light.

The pole barn will allow me to embrace my inner redneck. I'm kind of looking forward to a big brewing space.

McMansions are, at the root of it, bad because they are bad taste inflicted on the public. I can choose never to eat a Subway $5 footlong. But my visual field is still polluted by someone else's cathedral to bad style writ in beige and drywall.

Life is short and the universe is cold and indifferent. We owe it to ourselves to fill our environment with stuff that is beautiful, interesting, and weird. Don't settle for an oppressive bland, ugly reality. Fugliness is a crime against consciousness.

And while were at it, we can ban water towers, homeless people, amputees, the overweight, and everything else you might not like to look at. Sounds great! :jerkoff:

In my experience, McMansion-lovers are a really touchy, overly defensive bunch, and they tend to lash out unecessarily, distastefully, and unattractively when they see McMansions being criticized.

Reactions: Tig
In my experience, McMansion-lovers are a really touchy, overly defensive bunch, and they tend to lash out unecessarily, distastefully, and unattractively when they see McMansions being criticized.
They also drive Mercedes or BMW SUVs and wear pastel pink Bermuda shorts.

If thats directed at me Ill refer you to my first post in which I said theyre not really my thing.
However, I give exactly zero shits if they are somebody else's thing.

I think this thread suffers from a little bit of the "free speech" problem. For example, when people say something awful/stupid that elicits calls to shut up and then whines that they have a "right to free speech" *gumble-grumble*.

No one is saying that people should be forcibly prevented from ostentatious displays of bad taste. However, folks can, will, and should point out clear and present vulgarities (e.g., McMansions, The Alabama Shakes, Limited Time Choose Your Own Tour of Italy specials, Pumpkin Spice Oreos) as they see fit.

Back