McGill Guitars

Modern Saint

Starve your Fear, Feed your Dream!
After hearing Brooks and John play this past weekend, I asked John Standefer about the guitar that he was using. It is Paul McGill of McGill Guitars.

Paul McGill Guitar - S.jpg

Talk about a resonant piece of wood, this guitar just rung forever. Reminded me of the Nigel Tufnel and his comment on the Les Paul's sustain. John mentioned that this guitar cost him $8K for it and it felt like it and played like it. On the top of the guitar is another hole for the user to monitor his own sound which I found to be fantastic. Another thing I found interesting was the headstock. This guitar was designed to take steel strings and not classical strings but John wanted that style of tuners for his guitar. The saddle uses a graphite pickup system and is split between the strings - E, A, D, G and B, E.

For more on McGill Guitars...

http://www.mcgillguitars.com/

After this concert I almost felt like selling half of my gear to invest in to playing acoustic only...must follow the 3-day rule....

Reactions: Tig
Yeah, those are incredible guitars. If you're willing to pay for it there are some great acoustic builders in the $5k-8k range and some even better ones $10k+, but you need to be able to really make it shine to get the benefit...

Fucking ridiculous.

In the best, most incredible way possible.

Stunning. So over-the-top as to be astonishing.

WOW. A functional work of art. Love it! Could never afford it, but LOVE it.

I have heard of McGill guitars but have never held one. And I know a bunch of steel string acoustic players who really like the slotted headstock.

Yeah, those are incredible guitars. If you're willing to pay for it there are some great acoustic builders in the $5k-8k range and some even better ones $10k+, but you need to be able to really make it shine to get the benefit...

This is true.

If you're going to buy in that range, then it's best to play as many possible, to get a rough sense of what you're looking for and what you dislike, and to make sure that you find a luthier that you get along with, communicate well with, and can collaborate with.

Buying used is also an option, but the "play as many guitars as you possibly can" line still applies.

I have heard of McGill guitars but have never held one. And I know a bunch of steel string acoustic players who really like the slotted headstock.

I love slotted headstocks. I guess it comes from playing classical/flamenco guitars, cellos, 12-frets, etc. My ukuleles all have slotted headstocks too. I'm more used to restringing them, and I think they look awesome.

But sometimes, they just don't fit, aesthetically. Even if it is a non-factor for freaks like Howie.

This is true.

If you're going to buy in that range, then it's best to play as many possible, to get a rough sense of what you're looking for and what you dislike, and to make sure that you find a luthier that you get along with, communicate well with, and can collaborate with.

Buying used is also an option, but the "play as many guitars as you possibly can" line still applies.

Exactly. Success with a luthier in a custom built guitar hinges on communications. A good luthier can tweak the build to bring out the tone you want, but you really have to be able to articulate what you are looking for as far as brightness, overtones, music style, etc.

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of that headstock; that wood grain just does not seem to fit the design. Of course, it suited the person who had it built, which is the important thing.

Back