McDonalds asks indie band to play SXSW for free. Their response?

It truly is amazing that MacD's would stoop to that level. Why even sponsor a stage if you are not going to pay the performers? Makes no sense at all.

It's not about the quality of the band. It's about having someone up there acting like a rock star in front of their logo.

Exactly. And, if I recall correctly, the NFL is tax-exempt as well. Bastards.

The NFL is tax-exempt because the organization itself never makes a profit anyway. It’s a money-losing corporation that just exists to manage some stuff between the teams. Even if the NFL wasn’t tax-exempt it still wouldn’t pay taxes. But the teams, owners, and players do pay taxes—it’s hard to hide a football team in the Cayman islands.

Here is a draft response to McDonalds' offer:

Dear Sir:

Fuck you. Strong letter to follow.

Sincerely,

So rather than counter-offer McDonalds, he gets butt hurt and burns (with a flame thrower) a business relationship with one of the biggest companies (albiet hated) on the planet? I would have counter-offered first.
I'd rather fuck myself with a cactus than have a business relationship with McDonalds.

So rather than counter-offer McDonalds, he gets butt hurt and burns (with a flame thrower) a business relationship with one of the biggest companies (albiet hated) on the planet? I would have counter-offered first.
Surely you jest.

As if McDonald's would even entertain a counter offer, when they know damn well they hold all the cards, and will find no shortage of bands who would gladly jump at the chance.

We're not talking about some garage band that never travels beyond their hometown and its bar scene.

These are professional bands made up of people whose livelihood is directly funded by their occupation as working musicians. People with responsibilities, bills to pay, manegement, overhead...

I don't know your background as a musician, but this sort of thing permeates the entire music business. It's total, absolute, unadulterated bullshit. If I had a dollar for every bar or club owner, venue manager, and back yard party thrower who promised the moon in lieu of actual fucking cash, I'd be swimming in a sea of small bills.

The reality though, is that such promises of exposure end up amounting to precisely jack shit. No one comes knocking at your door the following week offering you big money for a gig because they saw you on the "Corporation X" stage. Instead, you as a band have incurred whatever expenses were involved and gotten zero ROI. In fact, you usually just end up hearing from more ass clowns who heard you liked working for "free exposure".

The more artists who bend to such tactics, the harder it gets for ALL OF US to receive fair compensation for our services.

Allowing multi-billion dollar corporations to get away with such abhorrently unscrupulous methods, is effectively Stockholm Syndrome. Only you're giving into your captors BEFORE they even have you. That is insane.

This kid honestly sounds kinda douchey, but I don't care. I applaud him having the balls to tell Ronald to piss up a rope.

And I absolutely LOVE the genius of getting his band 1,000,000 times more publicity and exposure by sharing that letter, than they would have gotten by playing for free on the McNugget main stage.

Bravo kid. You just out witted one of the most powerful corporate entities on the planet.

Bravo.

Here is a draft response to McDonalds' offer:

Dear Sir:

pissed-off-tobey-maguire-meme.jpg

Sincerely,
FTFY

I WALK INTO LOCAL MCDONALD
JASON MRAZ IS PLAYING ON JUKE BOX
I ORDER DOUBLE CHEESESBURGER
TAKE ONE PATTY, RUB IT ON GROIN
MOANING AND WRITHING IN PLEASUER
JASON MRAZ SONG REACHS CRASHENDO
I SHUDDER WITH DELIGHT
BA-DA-BA-BA-BA, I AM LOVIG IT

I WALK INTO LOCAL MCDONALD
JASON MRAZ IS PLAYING ON JUKE BOX
I ORDER DOUBLE CHEESESBURGER
TAKE ONE PATTY, RUB IT ON GROIN
MOANING AND WRITHING IN PLEASUER
JASON MRAZ SONG REACHS CRASHENDO
I SHUDDER WITH DELIGHT
BA-DA-BA-BA-BA, I AM LOVIG IT
Why do you hurt me bro?

It might be fun to play on their stage. Maybe do some brand new material about chicken slurry served to obese children by people working full time for less than poverty level wages made by a company screwing bands to try to appear hip despite their plastic clown iconography.

I suppose you could also just plug in, tune up, and say something like "this next one is a new song we titled Burning Sex Hole Pus, we hope you enjoy it".

Back