Mashed taters

How do you like 'em?

• Total voters
Lumpy.... almost like potato salad with a bucketload of sauteed mushrooms and bacon grease. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Mushrooms on the side or mixed in?

I should have been a bit more detailed with the recipe. Mixed in. I sautee the shrooms in the bacon grease first. The potatoes I cut into smallish dice, mebbe 1/2 inch or so cubes. I cook those in salted water till they are just cooked , same as for mashed. Drain off most of the water, but not all. Add the shrooms and bacon grease and stir. Mix it in good, and let the potatoes break up. Add just a little bit of milk or half & half to loosen it up some. At the very end, I check the seasoning. Just salt and pepper.

I should have been a bit more detailed with the recipe. Mixed in. I sautee the shrooms in the bacon grease first. The potatoes I cut into smallish dice, mebbe 1/2 inch or so cubes. I cook those in salted water till they are just cooked , same as for mashed. Drain off most of the water, but not all. Add the shrooms and bacon grease and stir. Mix it in good, and let the potatoes break up. Add just a little bit of milk or half & half to loosen it up some. At the very end, I check the seasoning. Just salt and pepper.
That sounds tasty,I will have to try it soon.

I don't boil them.

- Cover the bottom of a paper plate with Kosher salt.
- Cook in the microwave until soft and cooked through.
- Smash them with skins with a masher in a medium saucepan.
- Add milk/half and half/light cream, butter, and perhaps some bleu cheese and keep smashing until perfect. Salt and pepper to taste.

Back