Mark Wein

Grand Poobah
Staff member
http://reverb.com/item/25020-martin-em-18-1981-natural

• Listed about 9 hours ago by Guitar Peak
  • Condition: Mint
  • 3 Watchers

prevnext

This is a vintage, original Martin EM-18 electric guitar, made in Martin's Nazareth, PA facility, with the original case. See all the pics below. The EM-18, designed by Dick Boak of Martin, was the upscale version of the E-18 with only 1,375 produced between 1979 and early 1981. The electronics consist of two Dimarzio humbucker pickups, with volume & tone controls for each with a 3 way selector switch, and mini-switches for phase and coil tapping - a combination that produces extremely versatile and useable tones. Other specs include a 9-piece Maple and Rosewood/Walnut body and a set Honduran Mahogany neck with a rounded profile similar to Gibson's 50s profile neck. The bridge is an original Leo Quan Badass bridge. The headstock is a unique 3-on-a-side design with the CFM initials on the front and the Martin logo on the back. The serial number of 1376 indicates the 377th made out of the total 1,375(serial# 1000 being the 1st). The warranty registration card indicates it was registered with Martin on 2/2/81 while one of the pot codes dates January 1979 - probably when Martin bought all the pots they used for their electric solid bodies. My guess it was probably built by Martin in late 1980. This is a hefty guitar, weighing in at just one ounce under 10 lbs, with great sustain. The body's in excellent vintage condition and the neck is straight and plays very well with great action. There are dark streaks in the Maple that can be seen in the pics but they're under the clear finish and appear to be in the Maple itself. Martin's original hardshell case for this guitar is actually a modified gun case - it's big and looks cool. The tuning keys have some chrome plate missing and a little of the plating on the brass covers has chipped away(please see all the pics for overall condition). Overall a good looking, great playing & sounding, rare vintage American guitar with case for under a grand!

I went on the Martin factory tour a few weeks ago. The tour guide brought up some extra tidbits including some of Martin's not-so-smart ventures......electric guitars being one of them.

I personally would rock that sucker :embarrassed:; however, rare as it may be, NO Martin electric is worth 1K.

When I was in college (University of Wisconsin) in the mid 80s, there was this guy who was a bum and a street performer. He used to busk on State Street (which had been turned into a pedistrian and bicycles only mall, that ran between the University, and the state capitol building) with an EM-18 through a battery powered amp (the ones that used a plastic gas container/can as a housing). There was nothing really special about his sound (what do you expect from one of those lame amps, and he was kind of limited as a player), but I always remembered his guitar, since Martin Electrics were uncommon even back then.

It looks cool, but it still has to perform, and since Martin isn't known for electrics, I'd never buy it without being able to play it.

It looks like Ovation/Gretsch's attempts into the solid body electric market. What I mean by that is it looks like a Carvin.

Er....

Similar subject matter, I was playing two electric Taylors today. They played and sounded very nice! However, I kept thinking they were trying to emulate EB in design, style and market, but weren't there yet.

Yep, "1 ounce under 10 lbs".....(just saw that in the description).

I think you would be better served looking elsewhere for a thousand dollars.

Back