Martin D-18 weight spec

Sauntman

Hack
So I am considering buying a Martin D-18 online. This particular retailer has four units of this model in stock to choose from. How much would the weight of the guitar factor into your buying decision? The four guitars range from 4 lbs to 4 lbs 3 oz. Would you opt for the lightest or heaviest? Or is a 3 ounce difference too trivial and would not be a factor for you at all?

On another note, what are your thoughts on the D-18 versus the D-16GT? Is the D-18 worth the extra cost? I love my friend's D-18 and playing his really has me gassing for one and it would be a huge step up compared to my current cheap Fender acoustic (as would the D-16GT for that matter). How about a richlite fingerboard versus real ebony? I haven't played an D-16 so I'm also wondering how it's tone would compare to the D-18, which I love.

Last edited:
Just got back from the Martin Guitar Factory, did the behind the scenes tour and played a lot of Martin guitars. Out of all of them, without regards to price, I love the D18 the best. Just was able to make that guitar talk with great ease and the tone and articulation of each note, the playability, yeah, THAT is the one that I would get if I happen to buy another Martin. The one I fell in love with was the Mahogany one. I got to play a lot, from top pricey over done models to simple entry level and the D18 was the only one that left an impression on me. Just my simple opinion :)

About this time last year I did go to a couple of local shops (my choices are somewhat limited) and played numerous guitars. Taylors, Gibsons, Guilds, Takamines and etc. The Martin D-18 ended up being my front runner. I also liked the Taylor 310 & 410 and the Gibson J-35 & J-45. They all felt good in my hands but it was the tone of the Martin that was ideal to my ears.

I was looking at mainly dreadnoughts. I also do not particularly want or need electronics.

I didn't pull the trigger on the Martin D-18 because I didn't want to spend that much money, although that was the guitar I loved. I want an all real wood instrument that would last a lifetime and something I would never outgrow skill-wise. I haven't played a D-16 and feel this may be a lower cost option for me that would give me that Martin tone my ears love and with the spruce top and mahogany sides & back I am preferring. I just am not sure about the richlite fingerboard and bridge. My local GC does not have a D-16gt for me to try out. I only know of one other shop within an hour from me that carries Martins and may have one. Elderly Music is a little more of an hour away from me and it may be worth making the trip there.

Just got back from the Martin Guitar Factory, did the behind the scenes tour and played a lot of Martin guitars. Out of all of them, without regards to price, I love the D18 the best. Just was able to make that guitar talk with great ease and the tone and articulation of each note, the playability, yeah, THAT is the one that I would get if I happen to buy another Martin. The one I fell in love with was the Mahogany one. I got to play a lot, from top pricey over done models to simple entry level and the D18 was the only one that left an impression on me. Just my simple opinion :)

My buddy has a D-18 and I love it. For me, the tone is ideal and i love the neck. His is the newer 2012 version. Just the perfect acoustic.

My D-18 is a 1975. 4 lbs 4 oz. It rings like a bell.
403931064.jpg

I ended up with my Martin by accident; a salesman at Gruhn's recommended I try it and I fucking LOVED it. I've played a lot of Martins over the years and while many of them are nice enough guitars, the Martin name commands some extra $$$ and I think you can get more bang-for-the-buck elsewhere. Still, when you find a special Martin you should get it, because they do build some great instruments and wouldn't have been around as long as they have if they couldn't.

Ordering one online though? Like I said before... go PLAY them!

I went to my local GC today and played several acoustics. I tried a couple Taylors, mainly a 310. I played a Breedlove, but can't recall the exact model. Yet I again gravitated to the Martins. They did not have a D-18 in stock. The sales guy claims they just sold the only D-18 they had the day before.

I played a new HD-28, a new D-35 and a used HD-35. The used HD-35 was set up better with lower action, making it more playable for me. The used HD-35 was in mint condition and seemed just as new as the new ones. However, the used HD-35 was the most expensive of the three. I really liked all three, but I would have went with the HD-28.

I played less expensive Martins in the $1,000 to $1,500 range, but each had something about them that I didn't like as much as the more expensive HD-28.

The reason I was thinking about buying online comes down to more available models and because I am going to get a decent discount (my sales rep agrees he owes me - it is a long story). I am 95% sure I am going with a Martin just not sure how much I am willing to spend at this point. I loved the HD-28 I played today, but I showed restraint and got out of there before even asking the sales guy what sort of a deal he would give me.

The HD-28 is an excellent guitar.
I played one recently and fell in love with it.
Unfortunately, I was not in love with the price tag. :lol:

The HD-28 is an excellent guitar.
I played one recently and fell in love with it.
Unfortunately, I was not in love with the price tag. :lol:

Yeah, with a sticker price of $2,850 I just couldn't pull the trigger. I do need to do more research and play more brands/models before I buy. I did love the HD-28 I played today! I can actually afford it and I am looking for a high quality instrument I plan to keep for the rest of my life, so we will see! At the same time, I am not a gigging musician so i can't really justify spending so much.

Back