Dig it! Marshall CODE

CBHScott

How did I get here?
So, Marshall jumps back into the modeling game with a line that costs relatively half as much as the L6 Amplifi, yet focuses on Marshall tones at roughly half the price, yet much better (it appears) execution:

$249 for the 50-watt combo with a 12" speaker, onboard (as well as PC and BT) editing, that actually LOOKS (and hopefully sounds) like a guitar amp?

Innerested.

I was interested until I saw that it’s another modeling amp with a terrible interface that essentially requires users to plug into a computer to set up a tone, save it as a preset, and then call it up. I’ve bought and sold too many of those and I’m never buying another. I don’t understand why people will spend millions developing amp modeling and software but not rethink the knob setup.

I still don't really get modelers. I guess it is pretty cool to have a bunch of different tones to easily dial up, but I can't think of a single time I would need any of that. I guess if you are in a cover band and try to nail every tone of the recorded song, but as a fan of live music, nothing bores me more than a cover band who doesn't have their own style or sound. I am probably in the minority though.

I was interested until I saw that it’s another modeling amp with a terrible interface that essentially requires users to plug into a computer to set up a tone, save it as a preset, and then call it up. I’ve bought and sold too many of those and I’m never buying another. I don’t understand why people will spend millions developing amp modeling and software but not rethink the knob setup.

Uh, I did mention in the OP that there IS ONBOARD editing (like the Fender MIII)??? Lemme double-check...yep!

I still don't really get modelers. I guess it is pretty cool to have a bunch of different tones to easily dial up, but I can't think of a single time I would need any of that. I guess if you are in a cover band and try to nail every tone of the recorded song, but as a fan of live music, nothing bores me more than a cover band who doesn't have their own style or sound. I am probably in the minority though.

Understandable, but while these could very well be giggable, I think they are geared more toward practice, and allows one to (I suppose) switch to something different-sounding if they wish. Also, you don't necessarily need to switch models during gigs, but maybe different gigs would call for different models...:shrug:

Seems silly to me that an amp company with the original sound that everyone else tries to copy has a modeling amp coming out.

Video's nice but you never get what an amp sounds like unless there is no background music playing. Makes me think it's hiding something.

I bought a line 6 3 or 4 years ago when they put a 12 inch Celestion speaker in their 75 watt box. I've already got what they're talking about and can choose from 400 presets and arrange them in the order I want or need them in or do my own.

Last edited:
Understandable, but while these could very well be giggable, I think they are geared more toward practice, and allows one to (I suppose) switch to something different-sounding if they wish. Also, you don't necessarily need to switch models during gigs, but maybe different gigs would call for different models...:shrug:

50 watts seems a little much for practice. I mean whatever floats someones boat, is cool, I just can't see me ever using one. My 2 amps sound amazing and I can get whatever sound I want by grabbing a pedal or 2 that I can easily dial in with a couple twists of the knobs.

50 watts seems a little much for practice. I mean whatever floats someones boat, is cool, I just can't see me ever using one. My 2 amps sound amazing and I can get whatever sound I want by grabbing a pedal or 2 that I can easily dial in with a couple twists of the knobs.

Yeah, but you got good amps :wink:

Very useful in lessons.

If this ends up sounding better than the Spider I'm using with students currently than this might be a purchase.

Looks interesting, but I don't really want to spend a minute of additional time programing some piece of music gear. I'm kind of burned out on that kind of stuff. I'd rather just have a regular amp, especially as I don't gig and need to change sounds quickly.

Back