Dig it! Mark's pedalboard rebuild thread.

So I've spent most of my afternoon updating firmwear and getting midi interfaces to work.

:Rage:

And that's why I could never use that shit. Maybe if I didn't work in IT where I am constantly updating software and firmware I could, but I don't want to do my job in my hobby.

So it appears that after two days of fiddling with everything, watching videos and googling there is an ES-8 firmware issue that is keeping the Timeline from working properly. I just set up a long and a slap delay and unhooked the midi cable for the gig tonight and I'll deal with it later. Not a big issue for what I'm currently doing but I want to eventually set up q bunch of more specific sounds.

:annoyed:

So it appears that after two days of fiddling with everything, watching videos and googling there is an ES-8 firmware issue that is keeping the Timeline from working properly. I just set up a long and a slap delay and unhooked the midi cable for the gig tonight and I'll deal with it later. Not a big issue for what I'm currently doing but I want to eventually set up q bunch of more specific sounds.

:annoyed:
Well that sucks

Todays thoughts....

I have all of the sounds I NEED on the first (00) bank but then there are some that I'd like to access that I don't want to make two button presses to access. I'm thinking that if I put my "bread and butter" sounds on bank 001 and then have bank 000 and 002 set up with basic drive sounds but alternate modulation I could have better access to the other sounds I use less frequently.

Todays thoughts....

I have all of the sounds I NEED on the first (00) bank but then there are some that I'd like to access that I don't want to make two button presses to access. I'm thinking that if I put my "bread and butter" sounds on bank 001 and then have bank 000 and 002 set up with basic drive sounds but alternate modulation I could have better access to the other sounds I use less frequently.

Well, this is the problem. You have all this stuff and now you have to control it in a way that makes sense on a gig. This is where the real frustration sets in.

Well, this is the problem. You have all this stuff and now you have to control it in a way that makes sense on a gig. This is where the real frustration sets in.
Yeah. But having the ES-8 makes it much more possible.

I was watching a pedal show episode and they were talking about how they use the Gigrig G2 and one thing that I thought was cool was that you could have buttons assigned as presets and then others in "stomp mode" where you could still add something in on the fly. Not sure it's worth the $500 more their controller would have cost me but it would be really cool.

I do not envy your cover gig. I can't imagine trying to keep up with all of those different combos of sounds you need for it.

I do not envy your cover gig. I can't imagine trying to keep up with all of those different combos of sounds you need for it.
To be perfectly honest I can (and have) gotten through the gig with a boost, a medium gain TS type pedal, a carbon copy delay and a chorus. It can be done but it's not that effective. And if I played in a more "specific" band in regards to tempos and even set lists I could actually really dial things it. The majority of my sounds are things that I can grab on the fly to get close to a recorded sound. I'm not recreating actual tones. If I have a clean sound, a cleaner boosted sound (now with more KLONE!) a good overdrive sound and a compressor for certain clean sounds or when I use single coils that is the base that I can build the rest on. I've used a slap echo and a longer but not too intrusive "ambient" delay for depth and chorus, phaser and tremolo for the most part. What I'm hoping is that I can get to more of the modulation I have available to me in an easier fashion and perhaps a few more interesting delay things.

Also, I have a visa gift card from Fathers Day that I might put towards a new wah pedal. It won't live on my board but maybe when I need it I can just add it before the patch bay. And eventually I'm putting a second patch bay in to be able to insert my volume pedal. The ES-8 has a nice feature where you can put it in it's own send/return and not sacrifice a loop. Then I think you can put it wherever you want in the signal path so you can have it after your drives but before delays or reverbs or however you want to use it.

Mini wah!

IMG_5436.JPG
IMG_5435.JPG

I spent about an hour today cleaning up the wiring under the board and routing an extra power cable to the side where the patch point is to power the wah or any other 9v pedal I might want to tag on there. This was about halfway through. Essentially I just tie wrapped the "send" and "receive" cables from each pedal together and made sure nothing was hanging loose or wrapped around anything else.

19451638_10155498178077425_1683455062_o.jpg

Back