Marks new "Getting Healthy" thread.

A revisit to this thread. I struggled for the rest of 2915 and early 2016 with stress and other things and then had a REAL health scare which ended up with me needing a series of expensive tests including an angiogram. At one point I was up to 280 according to my health app the week that Mrs W got in her car accident. I did a little better through the summer but it wasn't until I got back to school 6 weeks ago that the weight started going in the right direction. I've lost 16 lbs since school started just by eating better and making sure that I park as far away from the music building as possible so I'm getting an extra 30 minutes of just walking in a day. By the end of the year I'd like to be under 250 and closer to 245 but I'm not pushing it. Just trying to let it happen as it happens. I've been losing about 1-2 lbs a week....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice to hear you are making headway. I feel like I was treading water at best, and really needing to get back on it as well. Had a great bike ride last night, but suffered way more than I should this time of year. My weight is a bit up for this time of year too. Needing to re-dedicate and get back on it. Step by step.

Keep it up Mark.

They're not cheap, but the Concept2 D rowing machine I bought in March has already paid for itself in terms of whipping my ass into shape. Best $900 I ever put on a credit card.

I dropped from from 220 to 190 between April and early August and feel great. I also started carefully monitoring everything I eat, which like anything else takes a little practice and then it just becomes routine and is not a pain in the ass. There's a small amount of suffering initially, you feel starving and you want to stuff your pie hole, but that goes away pretty quickly and eventually you get into a positive feedback loop that reinforces good eating habits.

A ton of travel for work, a vacation, and a ton of life shit threw me off the rails but I'm getting back on this week.

When I first got the rower, I couldn't do more than 3 or 4 minutes without gasping for air and needing to stop. By July, I was rowing half marathons and can go for an hour or more easily. The perceived exertion while rowing is low compared to most other forms of exercise, and you're working every part of your body, so there's some good bang for your buck. I'm not rowing my brains out either, i watch a show on netflix and row a specified amount of time or do an interval circuit or aim for a certain HR range. I couldn't be happier with the results.

I am further committing. It has been hard to get work outs. Very busy. And changing course on diet feels like changing course on a big container ship. But, getting there, and gaining some steam. Gonna hit the gym today, and keep the diet as clean as possible. Kale, spinach and chard, flax seed, chia seed, pumpkin seed, banana and a few blueberries in a smoothy this morning, along with veg based protein powder.

I have my annual wellness check in a week and a half, and would like to make some headway before I step on the scales there.

Ive been a lazy shit for a good part of a year. That old job got me into the habit of going for a few beers after work or chilling out the back with a bottle of wine after dinner.

I put a bit of weight on - nothing monumental but I just felt lethargic and yucky.

Step in fiance who has started cross fit to lose weight for the wedding and got me to tag along. Its only been a handful of sessions but I'm really enjoying it and seeing results already.

My cardio is shot to shit and I struggle there but the weight stuff in doing good - we were doing a bench thing to start today id never done and overheard the lead instructor saying to the girl working my group - he's quite new but strong so don't worry about giving him weight. :grin:

Losing my desk job and 65% of my income has done wonders for my health this year.
My goal was to be at 145 lbs by mid April, which I didn't accomplish. By exercising more with more intensity mid-year and working on my feet starting in July, I was able to finally lose more.
29657382103_3e69226e7d_c.jpg

Mileage per week for the last 12 months:
30287964035_48a6e9149e_c.jpg

No huge weight loss since last check in, but have dropped a couple/few of the several pounds I want to drop, by trying to do some form of exercise every day, and reducing/nearly removing sugar and refined food. Trying to eat some kale/chard/spinach, etc. every day, adding tumeric to some foods, eating almost vegan as best I can, drinking water better (trying to drain a 32 oz hydroflask by mid day, then start on another to finish, in addition to coffee, and other water based beverage. Reduced alcohol, and eliminated it mid week for the most part. All just basic stuff. Seems to help. Was strong climbing on my bike today.

Also, making myself go to bed sooner. Not as good last night. The election crap sucks me in on the interwebz sometimes. Good to turn that off a while before bed. Oh, I also installed f.lux on my laptop so if I am on the machine the screen is dimmed and color changed as the night wears on. Seems to help with sleep. f.lux.com if you want to check it out.

Losing my desk job and 65% of my income has done wonders for my health this year.
My goal was to be at 145 lbs by mid April, which I didn't accomplish. By exercising more with more intensity mid-year and working on my feet starting in July, I was able to finally lose more.
29657382103_3e69226e7d_c.jpg

Mileage per week for the last 12 months:
30287964035_48a6e9149e_c.jpg

I continue to have the opposite problem. I'd like to weigh about 175-180 but I've never come close. Of course I want to weigh that the right way (muscle, not fat) but my body must be full of slow twitch fibers cause I can never gain weight and since I ride a fair bit I struggle to stay over 160. That said my retirement has done wonders for my riding amount (56 miles today), over 3600 so far this year and today I rode at 16.4mph with a Cat 2 climb in the middle of the ride. So my fitness is great. Not bad for an old guy though there are some old guys that are way better than I am. I blame my knees....:grin:

Tig how did you get that graph from Strava? Screenshot?

Reactions: Tig
Tig how did you get that graph from Strava? Screenshot?

Yep, just a screen shot that I cropped using IrfanView.

I took this week off from riding to let my body heal from the crash two Sunday's ago. Sometimes a bit of rest is good regardless of why. I even went to the doctor to check out my ribs. They are severely separated and one likely fractured, but not posing a threat to my lung or guts.

I'm feeling better and ready to ride this weekend.

Looks like we are supposed to get the first rain in 150 days this weekend so riding may be out. That's one reason I rode on Wed. Today was drizzling this morning so I drove to the gym...of course it did not raid at all so I could have ridden...I think nature likes to mess with me

lol. Here I am again. Started the Whole30 again today just to get a handle on things. I'm 277 lbs and I'm having a few health issues that could become major if I don't get a handle on this. I'm like a broken record.

:hd:

lol. Here I am again. Started the Whole30 again today just to get a handle on things. I'm 277 lbs and I'm having a few health issues that could become major if I don't get a handle on this. I'm like a broken record.

Go slow carb, track your weight, body fat %, and muscle weight % daily or weekly. Happy to help out with getting started.

Welcome back...:helper:

One of the best tools I utilized during my hardcore dieting phase was an app called MyFitnessPal, which monitors your nutritional intake, water, and exercise, and offers up helpful suggestions for adjustments that may maximize weight loss habits...even though your using a fixed dietary plan I think it would only add to your efforts...

I myself have been hardcoring my diet this week and got back under 190, weighing in at 188 this morning...I got a pretty good recharge at support group this week...

It was a big help to me to be blogging my efforts here as well...the level of support I got from this group of reprobates was a surprisingly helpful motivator...

+1 on the MyFitnessPal app. Used it for years in conjunction with tracking the numbers I mentioned abkve plus macronutrient and calorie targets. I still use the years of data I generated as a reference tool

I’ve done this a few times. This is actually the easy part for me. What is hard is “after”. That’s when I’ll really need the support.

I’ve done this a few times. This is actually the easy part for me. What is hard is “after”. That’s when I’ll really need the support.
I've said it before here as well as to my support group, but the fact that losing the weight was far easier than maintaining it came as quite a shock to me...I've reached the point where I can eat anything without physical penalty from my stomach, and even though I've been able to avoid the dreaded "stretch" it is still possible to take in enough to gain weight back at a shockingly distressing rate...

well, six days in and I feel like a whole new person. Apparently eating like shit makes you feel like shit :embarrassed:

I woke up this morning feeling rested even though I had to wake up twice for different things kid related. You're not supposed to weigh yourself on WHole30 but I do anyway. Down 8 lbs, although when you start at 278 that's mostly water.

Back