Marks new "Getting Healthy" thread.

:thu:

Those apps that can map your route, track your miles etc. are a great motivator IME. You still have to provide the drive and effort, but it is really fun to be able to see your miles accumulate over time. And if you have a lazy day, sometimes you think about putting that big empty space up on your graph and you get your butt out there after all. :wink:

:thu:

Those apps that can map your route, track your miles etc. are a great motivator IME. You still have to provide the drive and effort, but it is really fun to be able to see your miles accumulate over time. And if you have a lazy day, sometimes you think about putting that big empty space up on your graph and you get your butt out there after all. :wink:

Yep, I agree. Having a GPS navigator and the software that tracks a few areas of progress engages you.
I just have to remember to turn the damn thing on sometimes! I forgot to 3 times Sundays and lost about 9 miles of riding data. :facepalm:

I use the Strava app and find it a good motivator. I don't care about KOM stuff but it nice to see your progress.

I got a thing in my facebook feed from Tony Horton today about a thing called dietbet.

It's a website where you can join groups (he's starting one for folk who do his programmes) where you stick your dough in a pot, you've got a target weight loss to achieve in a given time and everyone that does it and has their loss verified via picture evidence of weigh ins at the start and end gets to divvy up the pot.

His one is 30 bucks to join and I think I'll give it a go, seems like quite a good motivator if you're a stingy dude like myself that hates the thought of losing a bet :grin:

Screen Shot 2015-04-24 at 9.42.18 AM.png

Ran out of energy half way through but the first part was fun.

Also "Wein'd" a pedal. @IamSeaDevil is gonna kill me.

IMG_2143.JPG

image.jpg

So I'm down 10lbs in spite of this being being one of the most stressful weeks of my life that didn't have a death in the family in it. No real exercise but I stuck to healthy eating. After this week I'm hoping to be able to exercise again.

Great thread. I am watching it as I continue to make changes. I like to think of it as a percentage game, so as to not get too worried about not meeting too strict a goal. Changing what I am eating (primarily), how much (some what, less necessary as I change the quality), activity levels, etc. over time is more effective for me than anything too radical or strict. If I get too hard on myself, I go into "Catholic School" mode, where I try to do really well but pressure myself too much so end up "sinning" have to confess and feel bad about myself, start over, etc. Better to be realistic and stay on a good path overall, and feel good about the average trend of change rather than any one event.

In trying to be realistic about it. I usually go overboard and treat the process like a job. At this point I'm just trying to make good choices with food, be active when I can and remember how good I feel and how crappy I feel when I eat poorly.

Good luck Mark. I've been making some changes too. I will also echo the myfitnesspal app. It's very addictive and I'm really liking it.

Good luck Mark. I've been making some changes too. I will also echo the myfitnesspal app. It's very addictive and I'm really liking it.
Thanks. :)

I started using the "Runtastic" app last week just because it send the info to my phones "Health" app. I really liked MapmyWalk but it didn't do that.

Sounds like a good plan, Mark. I've been having similar thoughts myself recently. Not due to any health scare, but more because I notice that I can't go on eating and drinking whatever, sitting still, and not expecting things to change for the worse. So these past few weeks have been devoid of sugar, very little salt, more walking, even a few jogging attempts.

It's a bitch, but it's for the better.

Still eating correctly but over on the portions. Down about a pound from last week but I'm feeling a lot better.

Reactions: Tig
I lost 35 pounds from november to january and have worked hard to keep it off.
For breakfast i have a piece of fruit and a piece of brown bread. i dont eat lunch per se, rather i eat 2 apples and 2 packs of mixed nuts thru the afternoon.
Dinner is usually a Subway Sandwich meal,and I'll have a big glass of milk and popcorn for an evening snack.

I walk 2.5-2.6 miles every nite when i get home from work( this is nt counting all of the miles i walk at work!!)and in March i started doing 50 push ups and situps a nite,and each week raised the amount by 10. I'll be up to 130 a nite starting tomorrow. I feel and look better than I have in years!!

Back