Mark's Music School Diary.

FINALLY my grades are all in:

Screen Shot 2018-01-03 at 8.45.26 AM.png

The two B's are a departure but I overloaded myself and I'm extremely pleased with getting what I got. The arranging grade irks me a little because I know I fucked up the final over some things that were really simple that I just didn't have the time to internalize well enough. Onwards and upwards.

ugh. back to school today. Biology and political science monday/wednesday/friday. Music History and Form and Analysis tuesday/thursday. Just have to add a combo class and thats my semester schedule.

FINALLY my grades are all in:

View attachment 38316

The two B's are a departure but I overloaded myself and I'm extremely pleased with getting what I got. The arranging grade irks me a little because I know I fucked up the final over some things that were really simple that I just didn't have the time to internalize well enough. Onwards and upwards.

nice job! I start again tomorrow. Less posts from me starting this week (and there was much rejoicing!)

A quote from my Form and Analysis class today: "Schoenberg played by a rock band sounds like Metallica. Metallica (especially songs from the album "...And Justice for All" played by a string section sounds like Schoenberg".

:hmm:

He also demonstrated how a Prince tune from the Purple Rain album uses Second Viennese School concepts.

It's going to be an interesting semester.

So I got my recital date (April 22nd) on Friday. And I was assigned to my combo class and my letter to the department chair apparently was read as I was given a new director (one I had last year) and it's just a trio so instead of waiting for four or five other people to get their play time before I get to fumble through a tune it's all me all the time. Terrifying and perfect at the same time. I feel like this semester will be challenging but satisfying and more manageable than the shit show I set myself up for in the fall.

It's nice they're including a bit of bio/medical ethics in what I assume is a general/survey course!
Yeah... it's just a "101" class, but the professor is banging on the ethics pretty hard right out of the gate....I'm enjoying it a bunch.

Today I finally get to bring a guitar to school. Combo class went from a trio to a quintet yesterday with the addition of a trumpet player (yay) and another guitarist who is going to be a drag even though he's a nice kid. We'll see how that ends up. First lesson of the semester is tomorrow night.

I have to say that my Form and Analysis class is the first "theory" class that is challenging to me and it's all about redefining and organizing how I look at music so far.

Not too much to report. working towards a first set of tests in the coming weeks in most of my classes. Had to blow off my classes today because both of my kids are sick and Mrs Wein was running one to urgent care when the other ended up in the nurse's office at school. Missing one day feels like I missed a whole week. I'm happy that I get to focus more on guitar this semester.

I'm really enjoying how my music department advisor keeps giving me bad information. My newest thing is that I have to do private lessons over the summer to get the requisite amount of applied music credit or I don't graduate on time. I'm happy that I get more lessons but it would be nice if I just got the correct info.

Hot tip of the week from my private teacher: superimpose an altered dominant scale based on the major 3rd of the I chord over the V in a resolving ii-V progression. in C major play E altered dominant (or F melodic minor) over the G7.

Back