Mark's Music School Diary.

You know what they call the person who graduates at the bottom of the class in medical school? Doctor. :wink:

GPAs are a funny thing. No one has ever wanted to know my GPA before hiring me; they just want that piece of paper. It does seem like you took on a lot, but I am sure you'll do fine.

In my program you can't get less than a B. If you get lower you have to repeat and you can only repeat 2 classes. And if I want to progress to a phD I pretty much have to get As anyway to compete in the program. I'm guessing med schools probably don't allow mediocre grades either.

In my program you can't get less than a B. If you get lower you have to repeat and you can only repeat 2 classes. And if I want to progress to a phD I pretty much have to get As anyway to compete in the program. I'm guessing med schools probably don't allow mediocre grades either.
In my program everything needs to be a C or higher and that piano class needs to be a B if you are a Music are major since they figure you need to accompany choirs and whatnot.

yep. raises the stakes with today's tuition rates.
I’m amazed at how many people fail classes for dumb ass reasons and have to retake them. I thought my music history teacher was joking when she spoke about her “frequent fliers” but just in my class of 38
10 didn’t even bother to show for the final. And this is the second in a 5 class sequence that has to be taken in order.

I’m amazed at how many people fail classes for dumb ass reasons and have to retake them. I thought my music history teacher was joking when she spoke about her “frequent fliers” but just in my class of 38
10 didn’t even bother to show for the final. And this is the second in a 5 class sequence that has to be taken in order.

Community college I could see "frequent flyers" but university fees are crazy. My son starts college next year and me and his mother do not want him having any loans when he gets out. So 2 tuitions next year. If I had to repeat a class it might be a deal breaker, although I don't anticipate that ever happening.

Community college I could see "frequent flyers" but university fees are crazy. My son starts college next year and me and his mother do not want him having any loans when he gets out. So 2 tuitions next year. If I had to repeat a class it might be a deal breaker, although I don't anticipate that ever happening.
I’m trying to keep to a timetable. I have a 2 year degree from a community college already but Cal State essentially ignored it and is making me do almost the entire degree fro the beginning. So I am cranking through a 4 year B.M. Degree in three years and then it’s on to grad school to get my masters. It would be nice to have that by my 50th birthday (well, a month after it but close enough). I have no time to retake anything.

I’m trying to keep to a timetable. I have a 2 year degree from a community college already but Cal State essentially ignored it and is making me do almost the entire degree fro the beginning. So I am cranking through a 4 year B.M. Degree in three years and then it’s on to grad school to get my masters. It would be nice to have that by my 50th birthday (well, a month after it but close enough). I have no time to retake anything.

They're making redo your lower division. Whoa. That sucks. Was it some time limit on using those units? Great goal, sounds like you'll make that goal just fine the way you're going.

They're making redo your lower division. Whoa. That sucks. Was it some time limit on using those units? Great goal, sounds like you'll make that goal just fine the way you're going.
Some stuff transfers but they shitcanned all of my music except for one unit of applied music (private lessons). I had to retake all three harmony classes, all of the Musicianship (that was probably for the best :embarrassed:), redo the piano proficiency requirement, my semester of music history had been demoted to a GE class after 26 years and so on. Plus they added a bunch of GE requirements to the lower division so I’m taking Biology 101 and Poli sci 100 next semester and shit like that. Brutal. But honestly I need to get on with my life here since we closed the studio. This is the best path to do that....

Also, everyone in the theory classes hates me because I destroy the curve on every test. In the last month we finally covered something I didn’t already know from before. :facepalm:

Also, everyone in the theory classes hates me because I destroy the curve on every test. In the last month we finally covered something I didn’t already know from before. :facepalm:

:embarrassed:
Screen Shot 2017-12-16 at 12.39.26 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-16 at 12.39.41 PM.png

My Music Production grade was an A- because I didn't turn in one of the four concert reports. I'll live.

Still waiting for the grades to roll in. A few teachers I'm sure won't have them entered until after New Years :annoyed:

Still waiting on grades :annoyed:

So far:

3DAD82FF-1D1D-4F21-91F6-D93823E6A9FB.jpeg

The only grade I’m really sweating is th musicianship grade. There are only five grades given all semester and I was getting a B before the final. I need at least a C to pass the class and if I bombed the final it could be a problem. The combo classes should be A’s, I know I got an A for my individual instruction. Arranging and jazz piano I really don’t know since neither teacher gave us letter grades at all during the semester but they should be fine. The teachers don’t need to have the grades in until Jan 2 though so the ones that were the most cagey inn terms of grading during the semester seem to be the ones who are waiting until the last minute. My music history teacher had 300 term papers and finals to grade and even she got our grades posted last week.

Still waiting on grades :annoyed:

So far:

View attachment 38225

The only grade I’m really sweating is th musicianship grade. There are only five grades given all semester and I was getting a B before the final. I need at least a C to pass the class and if I bombed the final it could be a problem. The combo classes should be A’s, I know I got an A for my individual instruction. Arranging and jazz piano I really don’t know since neither teacher gave us letter grades at all during the semester but they should be fine. The teachers don’t need to have the grades in until Jan 2 though so the ones that were the most cagey inn terms of grading during the semester seem to be the ones who are waiting until the last minute. My music history teacher had 300 term papers and finals to grade and even she got our grades posted last week.

Good job! I got all As in my first semester of my program this fall. I was sweating one class, but had to remember that they're in business to keep good students in the program. You probably did fine in musicianship.

Good job! I got all As in my first semester of my program this fall. I was sweating one class, but had to remember that they're in business to keep good students in the program. You probably did fine in musicianship.
Thanks! I've gotten all A's since I've been back (one A- last semester) but this semester is going to probably change that. No one really cares about what grade I got in Chromatic Harmony III or any of that shit but I want the faculty to have a good impression of me because in this field in this area they are the quickest path to employment after school.

One of my classes where the professor never actually graded us for anything posted today. I guess I did OK enough.

MUS 384 Jazz/Commercial Keyboard 1.0 A 4.0

Back