maple neck/fretboard vs. rosewood neck/fb

Jbird

Kick Henry Jackassowski
If you could get a guitar and have the option of either a maple neck w/ maple fretboard, or a rosewood neck w/rosewood fretboard, which would you choose? All other things on the guitar being equal.

02-21-03P%20Full%20back%20neck.jpg

prs-mccarty-wl-fb-1242-back_1024x1024.jpg

Totally depends on the guitar and its purpose. I generally prefer the look of Maple on most guitars.

Strats and Teles in particular pretty much require Maple as far as I'm concerned. In fact any guitar with a more radial fretboard (Jag, Mustang, Jazz master etc) are in that same category.

Guitars that are more "lead guitar" oriented, shred machines, Les Pauls, etc pretty much call for Rosewood.

The exception on the later would be some of the gawdy 80s shred machines like the Jackson/Charvelle types etc that somehow pulled off the Maple thing.

I have no idea what a rosewood neck is like. But I do know that maple necks are heavy, so I’m already leaning toward rosewood.

I don't think I would really care. I like both combinations. I guess if pressed, I would go with the rosewood neck, as you can play it unfinished.

My McFeely is maple/maple and that is what I have always preferred, but I played Baimun's all rosewood neck PRS at Pragestock last year and I loved it. I will probably go all rosewood on my next guitar.

I have never played a rosewood neck with a rosewood fretboard, so I can only say that my general preference is maple/maple. Having said that, I have also had, and still have some guitars with maple/rosewood, so I am sure rosewood/rosewood would be an interesting option, too.

Rosewood and ebony for moi. I had a Tele Custom with a maple and really could not play it.

There is absolutely nothing that plays and geeks as amazing as a rosewood neck. My music man luke III has one and it is my fav neck on any guitar I own.

that being said, I love the look of maple boards on strats and teles.

I've got Teles with maple/maple and rosewood. While the rosewood has a "wow" factor I don't notice any difference playing.

Are the Tele's whole neck rosewood, or just the fretboard?

I'm talking about guitars where the whole neck is rosewood, vs. whole neck maple

The whole Tele is rosewood. With just a touch of maple for decoration, skunk stripe, trussrod plug, thin strip sandwiched between the top and bottom of the body.

Can't get on Photobucket from work or I'd post pic.

A Non-Maple neck (can be many types of wood) and always a Rosewood or Mahogany Fingerboard...
I have maple necks, and they work fine, but you asked which I would choose....

Depends on the type of guitar and the sound I was looking for out of that guitar.

I have both types and each one is unique in sound and tone as well as play ability.

Back