Mangosteen

Seen but never had. They used to pop up in asian markets in LA, but they were spendy and I wasn't quite curious enough. Are you collecting tropical fruit?

Seen but never had. They used to pop up in asian markets in LA, but they were spendy and I wasn't quite curious enough. Are you collecting tropical fruit?

Just curious. Was transcribing a video (for work) where some yuppie/hippie was eating them off a tree on this property in Hawaii he was thinking about buying.

I've been all about foraging paw paws for the last few years and last year was a bad one so I wasn't really sated. Plus I got this

51EWb1khknL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

for my parents for Christmas and it was pretty good so I've been thinking about them and other tropical(ish) fruit.

Just picked up that Pawpaw book from the library today. I've got some seeds in my freezer that I'm going to try to get going in the spring.

Mangosteen is delicious--kinda like a mandarin orange. I went to Montreal to find them (the book I read about them in said they weren't available in the US), then came home and found them at just about every Asian market in town, along with lychees, dragonfruit, and the occasional durian.

I only know about mangosteens from this Spanish-language show we used to watch called "Pedro el Escamoso." Ol' Pedro was this goofy but lovable country guy that was going to make a big international company selling them, to lift him and his town out of poverty. Meanwhile, all the hot telenovela chicks just want to rip his clothes off; hilarity ensues.

th

Just picked up that Pawpaw book from the library today. I've got some seeds in my freezer that I'm going to try to get going in the spring.

Mangosteen is delicious--kinda like a mandarin orange. I went to Montreal to find them (the book I read about them in said they weren't available in the US), then came home and found them at just about every Asian market in town, along with lychees, dragonfruit, and the occasional durian.

Where do you get your pawpaws? We have tons of trees on the property but not many that produce. I supplement with ones from some of the local rural parks. I dumped all the seeds from this year in the same spot. Maybe something will happen there; probably not.

You done durian?

Where do you get your pawpaws? We have tons of trees on the property but not many that produce. I supplement with ones from some of the local rural parks. I dumped all the seeds from this year in the same spot. Maybe something will happen there; probably not.

You done durian?
I've a maybe-uncle (it's complicated) who's starting a pawpaw orchard, possibly through a connection with the university extension service, so my aunt brings me a crate of them every year or two. I've never seen them in the wild, which is strange, since I'm 40 minutes outside of a town named Pawpaw.

As for planting them, the reading I've done suggests that there's some symbiotic soil organism that the pawpaw depends on, so you're supposed to plant them in soil that's been inoculated with soil from an existing pawpaw patch. I can't get a read on how much of that is old wives tale and how much is legit.

I've never tried the durian. We used to live in a very-close-to-the-neighbors situation that had about 5 Asian markets within a mile, now we've got a bigger spread but I'm a half hour from the Asian markets, and I haven't made a pilgrimage yet. Mostly because weather that's warm enough to eat a durian outside is too warm to travel for a half-hour with a durian in the car.

I've had durian bunches. It kinda grows on you. Like a garlicky, cheesy fungus. The taste is much better than the smell.

Try and get your hands on a lembu/wax apple. I think those are my favorite weirdo tropical fruit. I've only ever seen them once in LA (and only eaten them in Taiwan). They have a really unique and awesome texture and are delicious.

I've a maybe-uncle (it's complicated) who's starting a pawpaw orchard, possibly through a connection with the university extension service, so my aunt brings me a crate of them every year or two. I've never seen them in the wild, which is strange, since I'm 40 minutes outside of a town named Pawpaw.

As for planting them, the reading I've done suggests that there's some symbiotic soil organism that the pawpaw depends on, so you're supposed to plant them in soil that's been inoculated with soil from an existing pawpaw patch. I can't get a read on how much of that is old wives tale and how much is legit.

I've never tried the durian. We used to live in a very-close-to-the-neighbors situation that had about 5 Asian markets within a mile, now we've got a bigger spread but I'm a half hour from the Asian markets, and I haven't made a pilgrimage yet. Mostly because weather that's warm enough to eat a durian outside is too warm to travel for a half-hour with a durian in the car.

Far out. Gonna sell em at farmers markets or something? Here you can find them along any wooded watercourse.

I've had durian bunches. It kinda grows on you. Like a garlicky, cheesy fungus. The taste is much better than the smell.

Try and get your hands on a lembu/wax apple. I think those are my favorite weirdo tropical fruit. I've only ever seen them once in LA (and only eaten them in Taiwan). They have a really unique and awesome texture and are delicious.

I swear there is a cute girl on youtube for every kind of fruit.

Back