Malort

Never heard of it. Interesting. Based on this description from the 'net, I'm in no hurry to try it:

I had a truly Chicago experience over the holidays; I tried Malort. Oh dear lord I wish I could un-taste that. I've avoided this abomination for years, but when someone gave my husband a bottle for Hanukkah it was time to bite the bullet. There are many ways to describe the flavor palette of this liquor, but I think it can be best described as a smell like acetone and a bite that leaves a giant dump in the back of your tongue.

Anything that advertises itself as "Challenge to the braggart who says I can drink anything" is not something I am eager to try. It sounds like the Dave's insanity sauce of booze...

14-things-you-didn-t-know-about-malort

Last edited:
Some people here love it. It's especially popular with hipsters. I just don't get it. Malort is a vile, vile concoction.

Some people here love it. It's especially popular with hipsters. I just don't get it. Malort is a vile, vile concoction.

Why am I not surprised that people who willingly live in Chicago enjoy a liquor that tastes vile? I left when I turned 18 and have never looked back...

cold-chicago-nicholas-eby.jpg

I have honestly never heard of it until reading this thread :shrug:
Next time you are in the city, stop at any bar and ask for a taste. You will either love it or hate it.

I've spoken to some bartenders that give a shot to 21 year olds on their birthday just to warn them about being careful of what and how much they drink.

Last edited:
I'm actually really surprised that fancy-pants hipster cocktail places don't use it in cocktails (maybe they do and I haven't encountered it yet..). It might actually be good in the right context. sort of like campari, but without the sweetness and with a bit more evil and sadness.

The weird thing is that it seems like the accepted "proper" way to drink it is to just down it straight. It's not like (normal) people enjoy doing shots of gin either...

I'm actually really surprised that fancy-pants hipster cocktail places don't use it in cocktails (maybe they do and I haven't encountered it yet..). It might actually be good in the right context. sort of like campari, but without the sweetness and with a bit more evil and sadness.

The weird thing is that it seems like the accepted "proper" way to drink it is to just down it straight. It's not like (normal) people enjoy doing shots of gin either...
It is used in cocktails. I've had some Malort drinks that weren't bad. But the bitter aftertaste is still there. And you have to use something sweet to mask the taste. As for gin, I enjoy gin martinis made with good gin.

It is used in cocktails. I've had some Malort drinks that weren't bad. But the bitter aftertaste is still there. And you have to use something sweet to mask the taste. As for gin, I enjoy gin martinis made with good gin.
OK, that makes more sense then. The martini analogy is exactly what I meant. Martinis are delicious and popular; doing shots of gin is not. All the "malort reaction" videos and that sort of thing have people drinking it straight, and at room temp.

I can't trust people's reactions because there's a lot of stuff I like with those same kind of videos.

Gonna have to buy some now. Thanks a lot, yabba. rolleyes1
Just sip it or do something interesting with if. I think the nastiness is overhyped. I had it as a shot and it wasn't so great, but I think it has possibilities if you like bitter (and I do). A bottle for home experimentation is definitely in my future. But yeah, trying it in a bar before buying a bottle sounds like sage advice. Iff'n yer ever up in these part of the woods, I'll buy you a shot!

Back