Malaysia?

jbj

Poor old Geordie's array...
I've just been offered a job interview for a fancy private school in Malaysia but I'm not 100% sold on the place. The interview is going to be a major pita to get too as well so I'm doing a bit of sniffing around to see if it's worth turning up to.

Anyone ever visited, lived there or know someone who does?

*insert Malaysai Airlines joke here*

My folks visited years ago and found the place fascinating. But obviously living there is a whole 'nother thing. I think you should give it a chance though, it could be really cool.

The thing is mate (the interview being a proper and fairly expensive pita to attend) I did the whole expat thing in the Middle East and I'm only really interested in going somewhere that the life is really good.

I'm not sure Malaysia fits that profile. Will have to do some more googling but the best way to find out about these things is talk to people who have done it.

Elsewhere - it's about an hours drive outside Kuala Lumpur apparently - probably much better for the bank balance and savings potential, not so much the enjoying life potential.

Is Malaysia the place where they have draconian oddball rules? Like for instance, they can cane you for spitting your gum out onto the sidewalk, etc. etc.

Is Malaysia the place where they have draconian oddball rules? Like for instance, they can cane you for spitting your gum out onto the sidewalk, etc. etc.

That's Singapore. Although I suppose Malaysia might have some rules like that too.

No idea. My cousin moved to Bali and married a local girl. I think they are moving back to the states though.

supposed to be one of the best places to work in relation to cost of living. You could live LARGE

That's not really my main motivation at this stage though I mean I lived in abject shitiness relatively happy in Saudi Arabia as long as there was homebrew wine to get me through the weekends, doing the big spending expat thing isn't really my thing (and dare I say beneath a gentleman of my refined character :embarrassed: )

I've got a mortgage, a gf (who is none too pleased with this development might I add :embarrassed:D) friends family etc... over here and if I do end up going abroad again, it'll be in the interests of the long game back here i.e. get the house paid off early, come back with a wad, stash some away for retirement and so on.

Unfortunately the only place really that this is an option tends to be back in the Middle East because most places will pay for your accommodation or give you a stipend for it - anywhere else you're essentially having to pay rent locally plus the mortgage back here. Add the fact that fluctuating currency values are not a large monthly outgoings best friend at times and the options are very limited.

I don't even remember applying for this one but on closer inspection it looks like the school offer you board or digs on campus in some capacity which is why I would have gone for it.

My gut is pretty much saying no.

If nothing else, I'd have to kai bosh my bucket list trip to Iceland next October :shrug:

Tough one.

On the upside (and I may be waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off with my reasoning and logic behind this) but as I was essentially an illegal immigrant in Qatar when the shit hit the fan on my last expat adventure, I've realised that I'm probably OK to go and work there again - if I wasn't legally entitled to work there, they can't blacklist me for bailing out on a work visa...... :idea:

never been to Malaysia but if you have some specific questions I have several people sitting around me who are from there (and recently moved here so it's not from there 20 years ago) and I talk to folks in Penang regularly so I can probably get some answers if you are looking for specifics

:Wave:

Malaysia is an oppressive dictatorship that recently forbade Jeff Dunham from using the Achmed dummy in his act...I would think twice about even visiting the shithole, let alone work there...

Malaysia is an oppressive dictatorship that recently forbade Jeff Dunham from using the Achmed dummy in his act...I would think twice about even visiting the shithole, let alone work there...

You clearly haven't read about my adventures in Saudi Arabia :embarrassed:

Actually I have...why would you do that to yourself again?

Because it's less of a dictatorial shiteheap than KSA? :embarrassed:

I'm going to pass on it anyway - I can't even remember what compelled me to apply but I know in my gut it's not the right move.

Norway banned _Life of Brian_ but it still has all of the fjords...

Back