Major pot bust in San Bernadino

rickenvox

Animal Psychic
http://abc7.com/san-bernardino-marijuana-grow-could-be-largest-found-in-city/2778188/

Why is the news media reporting this like some event from the 80s? We just legalized recreational marijuana in California, ready to take effect in January. So what is this woman's big crime? Operating without a proper business license would be my guess. Premature marijuana production? The war on marijuana is over, so why is this being reported on the news like some drug cartel was just taken down??

'Cuz Jeff Sessions......Thus exposing another campaign lie from Il Presidente.

Last edited:
http://abc7.com/san-bernardino-marijuana-grow-could-be-largest-found-in-city/2778188/

Why is the news media reporting this like some event from the 80s? We just legalized recreational marijuana in California, ready to take effect in January. So what is this woman's big crime? Operating without a proper business license would be my guess. Premature marijuana production? The war on marijuana is over, so why is this being reported on the news like some drug cartel was just taken down??
They take those licenses seriously. Thank god she wasn’t selling cigarettes. They kill you in NY for selling those without a license.

Even though it is legal to have, there are still rules about growing it. Those rules may change once the new law goes into effect, but they are still there. I can't remember the specifics but my brother in law explained it to me a while back, he lives in San Bernadino. Something like each person can grow 6 plants. Dispensaries get people to sign over their 6 plants to them and then the dispensaries can grow those 6 for people. It says the lady involved was detained, so maybe she has to provide the paperwork to show she isn't growing more than is allowed.

The best part of that article is the link at the bottom to report any typos. So now the news sites want us to do their job for free?

Even though it is legal to have, there are still rules about growing it. Those rules may change once the new law goes into effect, but they are still there. I can't remember the specifics but my brother in law explained it to me a while back, he lives in San Bernadino. Something like each person can grow 6 plants. Dispensaries get people to sign over their 6 plants to them and then the dispensaries can grow those 6 for people. It says the lady involved was detained, so maybe she has to provide the paperwork to show she isn't growing more than is allowed.

The best part of that article is the link at the bottom to report any typos. So now the news sites want us to do their job for free?
It's rare for me to read any article, regardless of source these days that doesn't make me cringe and want to highlight all the mistakes and send it back with a grade and a note to their parents.

There is a big difference in how many plants you can grow for personal use, and what you can grow as a licensed medicinal supplier. For those that want to compete in the coming recreational commercial operations, there was an opportunity to apply for the proper permitting, something like a $2500 fee. I know a number of people running medical grows that also applied for a commercial license. Sounds like she didn't follow the rules, and is going to pay dearly. I'm sure the proximity to a school will be a major factor as well.

Fact is that 'illegal' grows are going to be targeted much more heavily after the first of the year than they are now, since they will fall under tax evasion laws instead being mostly ignored now.

Fact is that 'illegal' grows are going to be targeted much more heavily after the first of the year than they are now, since they will fall under tax evasion laws instead being mostly ignored now.

This.....

There is legal pot in Colorado and the busts still go on. The counties want their tax dollars. They just had a huge bust in southern Colorado last month.

Plus despite legalization, the regulation and taxes mean that the pot is not cheap. There is still a fair amount of profit to be made from black market pot sales and it still happens. The last stats I heard was that about 20-25% of the pot sold in Colorado was of the illegal variety. Washington state had a higher percentage because they had a different taxing structure that made the pot more expensive there.

As well, at least in Colorado, the recreational pot sales are a county by county thing. The county I live in has not legalized it. Not that it makes a huge difference - there are medical pot stores all over the place and it's not hard to come up with a reason to get a prescription. And I have heard rumblings that they may cave in and allow recreational pot soon. Too much tax revenue going to waste.

And I have heard rumblings that they may cave in and allow recreational pot soon. Too much tax revenue going to waste.
I think this is likely to happen on a national level in the next few years. My hunch is the Feds are watching these early adopter states to see what works and what doesn't, and will end the MJ prohibition in order to collect more taxes.

With tax rates as high as 45% in CA, the legal market is not going to eliminate the black market.

I’ve seem the same thing down the street. A couple kids pretended to be college students and turned a rented house into a grow room. Then they added a tent greenhouse out back. The smell pissed off neighbors who called the cops, and the cops got involved. I’m not sure if they were actually over the legal limit on plants, but once the landlord found out the kids were evicted.

With tax rates as high as 45% in CA, the legal market is not going to eliminate the black market.
Yep...which probably has a lot to do with why the bust in the OP happened. Sending a message to the black market folks. Given the history of cash crop growing in CA, I suspect their numbers are high.

Last edited:

The thing is law enforcement being interviewed on television act like they're doing a great moral service for society. This is all about business laws and regulations, not busting El Chapo. Freaking law enforcement with their low education requirements are always the last to catch up with the world. They're barely catching up with elimination of Jim Crow laws.

There is a big difference in how many plants you can grow for personal use, and what you can grow as a licensed medicinal supplier. For those that want to compete in the coming recreational commercial operations, there was an opportunity to apply for the proper permitting, something like a $2500 fee. I know a number of people running medical grows that also applied for a commercial license. Sounds like she didn't follow the rules, and is going to pay dearly. I'm sure the proximity to a school will be a major factor as well.

There was a follow up news report that said something about misdemeanor charges only. Makes more sense.

It's San Berdoo -- it was probably a Hell's Angels operation...

No, they showed the woman's picture. Not Angels. I don't know if they actually have any power nowadays. Feds busted them up. I don't even see Angels wearing colors anymore on the freeways or their old favorite haunts up the coast in central California.

I think exactly the same thing is gonna go down here in Massachusetts. Thing is, communities have very different ideas on how recreational legalization is going to work out. Lowell has already said that they will allow damn near anything as long as the city gets their cut. Other local towns have said that the stuff will be banned at least initially. The state is still working on the numbers, my guess is that these towns are waiting to see how that all shakes out. Predictably, the legislature is dragging it's feet on the whole affair.

One thing I'm damn sure is gonna happen is that people who live in neighboring states will be headed here for smoke. As it stands, the border towns in NH make huge piles of money off Mass. residents because there is no sales tax, and the taxes on alcohol and ciggys are a lot less overall too. Something that comes to mind about that is how tough NH cops are going to be with legally aquired pot. In NH, buying and using fireworks is legal, and there are big firework stores in some of the border towns. There is one along the NH seacoast that is within view of any Mass SP car that is parked on the roadside. They run contraband stings throughout the summer, grabbing people who transport the fireworks over the border. I have to wonder if the NH Staties will do the same thing with pot.

Let's see - they have a website? or you're a Hell's Angel?
They do have a website, actually.
And, no.

We live in a long time HA affiliated area. They are our local gang, for lack of a better term. Every year they do a retreat up in the Santa Cruz mountains, and they are pretty hard to miss..

Back