WTF: Magazine Scam

Sometimes magazines do this in order to boost their "subscription" numbers they show to potential advertisers.

This.

Newspapers and magazines make a negligible amount of money from subscriptions- all their revenue comes from advertising. Advertising rates are based on distribution, so the more magazines they send out, the more money they can charge advertisers. One of my favorite magazines is a recording mag called Tape Op, which has been a free subscription since it began 20 years ago.

I get cheap subscriptions to magazines for my office waiting room: Time, Sunset, Entertainment Weekly, Better Homes and Gardens, and Psychology Today. I get renewal notices for full-price subscriptions and ignore them; I subscribe again when I get another $2.00 offer.

Many moons ago (like 15 - 20 years ago) I started getting Playboy Mag in the mail. Correct name - correct address. I never subscribed and I was never billed. My wife was not amused. All the issues were trashed by her as soon as they arrived. Kept up all through the one year subscription.
Yep, this subscription has the correct name and address on it. I went to Esquire's (Hearst Publishing) to see if I could figure who initiated the subscription. Turns out, I have 40 more issues coming. :facepalm:

I get cheap subscriptions to magazines for my office waiting room: Time, Sunset, Entertainment Weekly, Better Homes and Gardens, and Psychology Today. I get renewal notices for full-price subscriptions and ignore them; I subscribe again when I get another $2.00 offer.
Want 40 issues of Esquire?

Many moons ago (like 15 - 20 years ago) I started getting Playboy Mag in the mail. Correct name - correct address. I never subscribed and I was never billed. My wife was not amused. All the issues were trashed by her as soon as they arrived. Kept up all through the one year subscription.
A similar thing happened to me on that same time frame but I received both Playboy AND Penthouse free subscriptions. My wife didn't care too much, as you know, I only wanted them for the articles. LOL
Also we didn't have kids at the time. The situation would have been a little different.

Somewhere in the few years I received these mags Penthouse got into some peeing fetish. Wasn't my thing. One day my wife opened the Penthouse out of curiosity right to a page full of urinating women. I was questioned and released but under nagging suspicion.

p.s. We are still together and have never been tempted.

Somewhere in the few years I received these mags Penthouse got into some peeing fetish. Wasn't my thing. One day my wife opened the Penthouse out of curiosity right to a page full of urinating women. I was questioned and released but under nagging suspicion.
:lol: Seriously? Seems like that'd be just the kind of thing that'd make a lot of folks cancel their subscription. At a time when print media is struggling, that does not seem like the smartest business move. :shrug:

A similar thing happened to me on that same time frame but I received both Playboy AND Penthouse free subscriptions. My wife didn't care too much, as you know, I only wanted them for the articles. LOL
Also we didn't have kids at the time. The situation would have been a little different.

So she saw that, and she was pissed? :embarrassed:

I started my current job in February 2011. Shortly after, a 90 year old client died.

She had lifetime subscriptions to about 10 magazines.

I notified them all that she had died.

I still get a few of the magazines... including Sports Illustrated....including the swimsuit edition.

Not complaining.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

I haven't seen a Penthouse since I found my dad's stash of late 70s issues in the early 80s.

So, they went from PG-13 to golden showers?

NICE!!!

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Did The Donald happen to buy the publishing company from Bob Guccione or something?

So I get home from work today, check the mail, and guess what's waiting for me...a copy of ESPN magazine. Another subscription that I did not sign up for. :facepalm: At least this is one that I'll actually read a bit, and with the subscription ID I'll get access to ESPN Insider on their website. It's like Wheel of Fortune, magazine edition. At this rate I'll drown in paper within the year.

So I get home from work today, check the mail, and guess what's waiting for me...a copy of ESPN magazine. Another subscription that I did not sign up for. :facepalm: At least this is one that I'll actually read a bit, and with the subscription ID I'll get access to ESPN Insider on their website. It's like Wheel of Fortune, magazine edition. At this rate I'll drown in paper within the year.
It makes good fire pit kindling.

Back