Mac Advice

Johnny N.

Kick Henry Jackassowski
I know there are some Mac users in here so I thought I'd think out loud here for a minute and see if you guys can lead me.

We have never bought a Mac computer for us, but have for our daughter, and are thinking about getting one since our PC is limping toward certain death. I like the idea of not getting bogged down with adware and virus messes and I like the idea of the built in stuff like GarageBand, iMovie, and whatever the photo editing is. What I don't like is I've never laid out that much cash for a computer. If I want the large screen, they start at $1,800 as opposed to doing what I normally do and buy a PC for $400-500 on sale.

So I was in Costco and they had a big monitor on sale at $179 so it got me thinking maybe the mini is a good way to go. I already have keyboard and mouse so I'd just need the monitor. Then I looked at them and for it to make sense, I'd need to be at the $499 level but of course there isn't much power there. Not that I need a ton, see above uses. So I'm not sure if it makes sense to go up to the next one or bite the bullet and spend the $1,800.

So just looking for guidance based on that use. I wouldn't mind doing some minor recording and fooling around with pictures and videos, and that's assuming that I ever get around to it. Otherwise, the computer for us is pictures, text files like spreadsheets or real estate related stuff. Nothing that requires much power.

I’ve known professional designers who went with the Mac Mini because they just needed it for Adobe software and spreadsheets. There isn’t much power in a Mac mini, but it’s 2017, even old Core i5 CPUs can handle most software without choking. As long as you’re not editing 4k video you should be fine.

I'm still rocking a Mac Mini I bought in 2011. I just replaced the hard drive last week (I was getting close to 500GB on it, so I popped in a 1TB drive). There are 3 Mac Mini, the $499 you mention, the next up (2.6GHz dual-core Intel I5, 1TB disk, 8GB RAM and Intel Iris graphics) $699 or the $999 one, (same as the $699 but with a 2.8GHZ processor).

I have used Mac Minis for the past 5-10 years. I currently have a 26" Asus HD monitor (cost about $250) with it. We use it for general web surfing, office productivity, iMovie, iPhoto and Garageband. Works great. I can't speak to how it would handle applications that would require greater compute power.

BTW, if you want to save a few more dollars, get a refurbished Mac Mini from the Apple website.

Take a look at Chromebooks instead. A fraction of the price and if your using it for web based stuff you get the security benefits without the cost.

What is won't be good for is recording and the like.

I'd look for a macbook air and get a big monitor. Depending on specs, a MB air runs 750-1000

Hmmm. I hadn't thought of that. Which is weird because I used to use a laptop on a docking station at work. I'd get the big screen and dual functionality as a laptop or notebook or whatever I'm supposed to call them now. Something to think about for sure. Thanks.

Hmmm. I hadn't thought of that. Which is weird because I used to use a laptop on a docking station at work. I'd get the big screen and dual functionality as a laptop or notebook or whatever I'm supposed to call them now. Something to think about for sure. Thanks.

The only downside to a current macbook is lack of an optical drive for CD's, but if that is an issue you could get a external O-drive from apple for < $100

The $499 mac mini is a non-starter in my opinion.
  • 1.4 Ghz Dual Core processor
  • 500 GB Serial ATA 5400 rpm hard drive (are you fucking kidding me) (upgradeable to 1 TB Fusion drive for $250)
  • 4 Gigs of RAM (upgradeable to 8 gigs for $100)
The $699 is a non-starter because the hard drive tech sucks.
  • 2.6Ghz Dual Core processor i5 (a good processor)
  • 1 TB Serial ATA 5400 RPM drive (are you fucking kidding me) (upgradeable to 1TB Fusion drive for $200 [bleh]) Or a 256 GB Flash drive for $200
  • 8 gigs of RAM is sufficient
The $999 is the only one of the mini's I'd consider, and I wouldn't get it.
  • 2.8 Ghz processor
  • 8 Gigs of RAM
  • Comes with a 1 TB Fusion Drive (bleh) but upgradeable to what you really want, 512 GB Flash Storage for $200.
  • You're looking at $1200 not including a monitor.
The 21.5 iMac, $1700 (including upgraded hard drive)
  • 4k Retina display. Gorgeous
  • 3.0 Ghz i5 processor (good)
  • 8 Gigs of RAM
  • 512 SSD hard drive ($300)
MacBook Pro 13" $1499 (including upgraded hard drive)
  • 13" Retina display
  • 2.3 Ghz i5 processor
  • 8 gigs of RAM
  • 256 GB SSD storage ($200)
My recommendations
  • If you go with an Apple product, get a Flash/SSD drive over a Fusion or Serial ATA. This is a must have, in my opinion
  • Pick the MacBook Pro over the Air, as the display is much better
  • i5 CPU is perfectly good for any system you consider
  • 8 Gigs of RAM is a minimum, 16 if you want to splurge
  • Get the iMac over the mini
  • If you know anyone that works at an Apple store, they can get you a friends and family discount that saves you %10
  • The Apple Care warranty is worth it, in my opinion. It's 3 years for about $150
  • As Deep Eddy said, you can buy a refurbished Mac from Apple's website. These come with the standard warranty, so they are worth considering
I had been using a 2011 iMac, 21" display, and it worked perfectly fine. No crashes, no issues, no malware, no Windows, no bullshit.
I just bought the 27" 5k Retina, and I love it. SSD is fast and quiet, the display is fucking amazing.

My 2 cents.

I used to be a hardcore Mac user, I love their hardware quality, but recently their value for money is just bullshit. I really really can not recommend anyone to buy any mac hardware at the moment.

My 2011 macbook pro is still functional, but can't really deal with my work anymore. Since it started to properly break my workflow I threw money at a new computer last summer. As I do need OSX for some OSX only programs, need to be able to compile for it need to be able to test on it I built myself a hackintosh. Best decision ever. For 1200 euro's I had a "mac" that runs circles around anything Apple offered except the outdated Mac Pro. 60 bucks extra for another ssd and I now run Windows 10 on it as well. Never looking back. First time in 15 years for me buying a non-mac computer, but their line at this moment is just too pathetic IMHO.

Last edited:
I don't think I am the power user that some of you guys are. My main reasons for considering Apple is for their reputation of not having to deal with the malware/virus issues as bad as a PC and durability, which is probably related. We bought my daughter a macbook in probably 7th grade. She used that thing constantly until she graduated high school. For a lot of years, used it for her tv and there were multiple times that I heard a loud crash coming from her room where it would drop off her bed. She never complained but later told us it was slowing down because she had it so full of stuff. Either way, we bought her a new one for college.

The $1800 iMac is the easiest solution and covers everything we would want but just didn't want to drop that much money. Trying to do some traveling the next couple years so trying to not go too crazy on other things. I may need to sell a house before I can do it anyway but I will certainly use your advice when the time comes.

The $499 mac mini is a non-starter in my opinion.
  • 1.4 Ghz Dual Core processor
  • 500 GB Serial ATA 5400 rpm hard drive (are you fucking kidding me) (upgradeable to 1 TB Fusion drive for $250)
  • 4 Gigs of RAM (upgradeable to 8 gigs for $100)
The $699 is a non-starter because the hard drive tech sucks.
  • 2.6Ghz Dual Core processor i5 (a good processor)
  • 1 TB Serial ATA 5400 RPM drive (are you fucking kidding me) (upgradeable to 1TB Fusion drive for $200 [bleh]) Or a 256 GB Flash drive for $200
  • 8 gigs of RAM is sufficient
The $999 is the only one of the mini's I'd consider, and I wouldn't get it.
  • 2.8 Ghz processor
  • 8 Gigs of RAM
  • Comes with a 1 TB Fusion Drive (bleh) but upgradeable to what you really want, 512 GB Flash Storage for $200.
  • You're looking at $1200 not including a monitor.
The 21.5 iMac, $1700 (including upgraded hard drive)
  • 4k Retina display. Gorgeous
  • 3.0 Ghz i5 processor (good)
  • 8 Gigs of RAM
  • 512 SSD hard drive ($300)
MacBook Pro 13" $1499 (including upgraded hard drive)
  • 13" Retina display
  • 2.3 Ghz i5 processor
  • 8 gigs of RAM
  • 256 GB SSD storage ($200)
My recommendations
  • If you go with an Apple product, get a Flash/SSD drive over a Fusion or Serial ATA. This is a must have, in my opinion
  • Pick the MacBook Pro over the Air, as the display is much better
  • i5 CPU is perfectly good for any system you consider
  • 8 Gigs of RAM is a minimum, 16 if you want to splurge
  • Get the iMac over the mini
  • If you know anyone that works at an Apple store, they can get you a friends and family discount that saves you %10
  • The Apple Care warranty is worth it, in my opinion. It's 3 years for about $150
  • As Deep Eddy said, you can buy a refurbished Mac from Apple's website. These come with the standard warranty, so they are worth considering
I had been using a 2011 iMac, 21" display, and it worked perfectly fine. No crashes, no issues, no malware, no Windows, no bullshit.
I just bought the 27" 5k Retina, and I love it. SSD is fast and quiet, the display is fucking amazing.

My 2 cents.

For $150 from crucial.com, you can get 16GB of RAM for the mini. And for $260 you can get a 1TB SSD. I always get the base model and upgrade the RAM and drive myself. The RAM swap takes about 45 seconds on a Mini. The hard drive is s bit trickier.

I don't think I am the power user that some of you guys are. My main reasons for considering Apple is for their reputation of not having to deal with the malware/virus issues as bad as a PC and durability, which is probably related. We bought my daughter a macbook in probably 7th grade. She used that thing constantly until she graduated high school. For a lot of years, used it for her tv and there were multiple times that I heard a loud crash coming from her room where it would drop off her bed. She never complained but later told us it was slowing down because she had it so full of stuff. Either way, we bought her a new one for college.

The $1800 iMac is the easiest solution and covers everything we would want but just didn't want to drop that much money. Trying to do some traveling the next couple years so trying to not go too crazy on other things. I may need to sell a house before I can do it anyway but I will certainly use your advice when the time comes.

If you don't mind building yourself and fiddling with drivers a bit check out tonyMac's setups:

https://www.tonymacx86.com/buyersguide/january/2018/#CustoMac_Mini

And yes, all Apple hardware I've had has been top notch and any breakdowns were covered under warranty even outside of the warranty period. But no matter how much it pains me, 1300 euro's for a 21 inch screen with a 2.3ghz I5, 1tb old school hd and intel iris graphics? No frikkin' way. That's just a joke.

For $150 from crucial.com, you can get 16GB of RAM for the mini. And for $260 you can get a 1TB SSD. I always get the base model and upgrade the RAM and drive myself. The RAM swap takes about 45 seconds on a Mini. The hard drive is s bit trickier.

With those upgrades, you're looking at $900 without a monitor. Throw in a monitor and you're closed to $1100.

Still have a shit processor and a non-retina display.

Buy the MacBook pro for a few hundred more.

Putting one together seems to make some sense but I wouldn't have the foggiest idea of what I actually need vs. what seems cool and shiny and its been a long time since I've messed with the innards of a computer so I don't have total confidence.

I also read somewhere that they might actually be updating the mini this year. Don't know if that is a good or bad thing.

I'm still rocking a Mac Mini I bought in 2011. I just replaced the hard drive last week (I was getting close to 500GB on it, so I popped in a 1TB drive). There are 3 Mac Mini, the $499 you mention, the next up (2.6GHz dual-core Intel I5, 1TB disk, 8GB RAM and Intel Iris graphics) $699 or the $999 one, (same as the $699 but with a 2.8GHZ processor).

I was looking into it a little bit and it looks like you can't take the bottom off the newer mini to upgrade memory or anything. If I went the mini route today I'd probably go with the middle one. I think it would handle my usage.

I was looking into it a little bit and it looks like you can't take the bottom off the newer mini to upgrade memory or anything. If I went the mini route today I'd probably go with the middle one. I think it would handle my usage.

Horse-pocky, AFAIK the "current" Mini is still the Late 2014 design. You can take it apart...it's a freaking hassle to do (I wouldn't call it "user serviceable"), but possible.

The mid-level Mac Mini is a perfectly cromulent option for the average home user. Nothing is future-proof, "buy what you need, when you need it." Shop the Apple refurb section and save $ and get full warranty.

Last edited:
Back