LTD Jack replacement question.

jp_nyc

Kick Henry Jackassowski
I have an old LTD bass with active pickups and an atypical output jack that needs to be replaced. Instead of the metal parts being screwed onto a metal ring they’re inserted a black plastic box. I can’t find an exact replacement. Is this just a cheap generic jack that I can replace with a switchcraft?

Here’s a pic of the jack. Note that it is currently jury-rigged with electrical tape that keeps the broken plastic intact enough to be playable.

nHQk1c2.jpg

Yes, you can replace that with a quality switch. Positive, ground, and just unscrew the nut holding it.

Since it's active it may be a stereo jack to disconnect the battery when there's no cable plugged in.

Sent from my Moto X 2014 using Tapatalk

Since it's active it may be a stereo jack to disconnect the battery when there's no cable plugged in.

I thought of that, but wouldn’t a stereo jack have more than three connections?

I thought of that, but wouldn’t a stereo jack have more than three connections?
It should only have three. Tip, ring, and sleeve. The ground of the battery connects to the ring to ground to the whole circuit when a cable is connected.

I think you are looking for something like this....

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Switching-Output-jack-Plastic-Box_p_720.html

I think these are wired so the active pickups don't drain the battery when the guitar isn't plugged into a cable.

If you google switching output jack you can find lots of them from the big jack manufacturers and maybe find one of better quality than the cheap GFS model I linked. I think what you want is a stereo jack and one of the lugs gets wired to the battery to kill the power when not plugged in.

Last edited:
Thanks, Tiltsta. It’s surprising how hard it was to find this part. Hopefully the local audio parts store will have these so I don’t have to pay GFS shipping charges!

Back