Low Wattage Fenders

RyanNo3

Pedals - Pedals - Pedals
So I think that I want a low wattage Fender and I want to build it.... Maybe a Champ? Princeton Reverb? Deluxe?

I've been eyeing the Weber kits. They seem to make some nice cabs. Just get upgraded transformers and caps.

Has anyone built one? Preferences on low wattage Fenders?

I built a Weber Pro with a 15" speaker probably 12 years ago. It was pretty easy and sounded good.

I have to finish a Tweed Champ from Mojotone,

I completed 5 years ago Weber 5E7M and put it into a Mojotone Super Cab.

http://markweinguitarlessons.com/forums/threads/weber-5e7m-saint-style.19042/page-4#post-323670

Also completed a Mojotone Tweed Deluxe with ClassicTone Transfomers

http://markweinguitarlessons.com/fo...3-tweed-deluxe-build.32426/page-2#post-516959

Need to complete a few other projects which have been sitting on the shelf - Vibro Champ (Mojotone parts/Classictone Trannys) rebuild, Mercury Magnetics mod and rebuild for Epiphone amp.

Planning on a BF Vibrolux now.

Others who have built amps here are Prages, Wagdog and Wyatt from who I remember

I like the MojoTone stuff but GAHHHH-LEEE is it expensive. I could get a PRRi and upgrade the components for that cost. The Webers are alluring because they're relatively inexpensive.

I like the MojoTone stuff but GAHHHH-LEEE is it expensive. I could get a PRRi and upgrade the components for that cost. The Webers are alluring because they're relatively inexpensive.

Buy the kit with no Transformers. Mojotone kits already come with upgraded caps and components.

On the fence... Pay about $700 to get one already assembled vs paying $700 to build/troubleshoot etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the fence... Pay about $700 to get one already assembled vs paying $700 to build/troubleshoot etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where are yo finding them for $700 already assembled? Not that I am looking or anything. :grin:

Where are yo finding them for $700 already assembled? Not that I am looking or anything. :grin:

Referring to the PRRi 68 and a little negotiating by 'the kid.' These Weber kits assembled have to be another $200 to $300.

Some points

(1) What's your skill level?

Weber used to place a difficulty meter on all their kits. Tweeds and Plexis? Relatively simple...like so...
gauge1.jpg

Weber's 6A14 (Princeton Reverb) and 6A20 (Deluxe Reverb)?

gauge5.jpg

In case the pic doesn't pull all the way through the Wayback Machine, the arrow is pointing to "Extremely Difficult", which is pretty on target for the BF Fender Reverbs, a lot of long wire runs and under-board runs and potentials for noise.

(2) Many Weber builders prefer to swab out several parts for better over-the-counter stuff.

(3) I think people were changing $200-300 to assemble some of the tweeds, the BF may cost more. They used to have a "get a quote" feature and you would get a reply from a Weber dealer/tech. Not sure if they still do that.

Here's where we are ---

I ended up buying the MojoTone Champ kit. I'm going to wade in the waters of cabinet making too. In my research, I found that:

Champ 5F1 + Tweed Deluxe 5e3 Cabinet = Victoria 5112.

I'm not going for the traditional tweed covering. I want the natural, stained, I can stay in the living room, hardwood look --- walnut, cherry, maple. I may build a second pine box just in case.

Build thread a'comin...

Back