Mojo Request Low-carb diet blues

I'm going to try intermittent fasting to kick start the weight loss again.
I'm going to bump up my portions for breakfast and dinner, and just skip lunch.
I'll keep up some nutrients through the day with beef broth and tea.
I'll do that for a week starting next week and see how it goes.

Update on how I'm feeling: I'm having a problem with my ankle that feels kind of like gout, but not really.
I've had it several times before (back into my teens) and it's not gout.
I don't know if its diet related, but I'm calling it out anyway just for accountability.
I drank some cherry juice just to be on the safe side.

It is ankle and not heel? Heel that feels bruised?
Right up under the ankle. Heel is fine.
Muscle along the outside of my calf is tight as a bowstring.

I've had this before. I used to think it was because I was carrying too much weight.
The tightness is from sitting on my ass all day. If I can get some good stretched in, most of the problem will go away almost right away.
My instinct says the tightness is pulling something out of whack and causing the pain in the ankle.

Whelp -- I had a Dr. Appointment this week and just got my lab results back:

Weight -- down 12.6 pounds
Cholesterol -- 152
LDL -- 69
HDL -- 65
Triglyceride -- 90
A1C - 5.2%

All of these results are better than the corresponding results from last year, and even my PSA is lower! My doctor is surprised and pleased.

Thirty fucking years of listening to the media cry of "LOW FAT = HEALTH" is out the door. I've been eating loads of coconut and olive oil, fatty meats, cheese, etc. and I've never been healthier. I don't know that my results can be generalized to the entire population or if my individual metabolism is simply more attuned to this sort of lifestyle, but I will never again listen to medical "conventional wisdom" without a large grain of salt (fyi, my electrolytes are also in good shape...)

Right up under the ankle. Heel is fine.
Muscle along the outside of my calf is tight as a bowstring.

I've had this before. I used to think it was because I was carrying too much weight.
The tightness is from sitting on my ass all day. If I can get some good stretched in, most of the problem will go away almost right away.
My instinct says the tightness is pulling something out of whack and causing the pain in the ankle.
Sounds like shin splints. Soreness in the anterior tibialis muscle. Caused by fallen arches in you're feet.

Cholesterol -- 152
LDL -- 69
HDL -- 65
Triglyceride -- 90
A1C - 5.2%

All of these results are better than the corresponding results from last year, and even my PSA is lower! My doctor is surprised and pleased.

Thirty fucking years of listening to the media cry of "LOW FAT = HEALTH" is out the door. I've been eating loads of coconut and olive oil, fatty meats, cheese, etc. and I've never been healthier. I don't know that my results can be generalized to the entire population or if my individual metabolism is simply more attuned to this sort of lifestyle, but I will never again listen to medical "conventional wisdom" without a large grain of salt (fyi, my electrolytes are also in good shape...)
Congrats, those are good numbers. My numbers dropped drastically eating low carb and plenty of fat. I remember going nuts trying get my cholesterol to drop, taking meds, low/no fat - barely budged.,I was on two cholesterol meds and felt like shit.

It also turns out that fatty meats, like bacon, pork chops and even beef are not bad for you (me anyway). They keep you feeling full. I'm not hungry at all and eat tons of green veggies and cheese and nuts as well.

Low carb works for me... I'm still at 176. Slow going getting the last 3 pounds off. Not bad for being 203 at New Years though. I've upped my carb intake, so the slowdown is expected. Still, wouldn't mind seeing that number on the scale.

Cholesterol -- 152
LDL -- 69
HDL -- 65
Triglyceride -- 90
A1C - 5.2%

Awesome!!!

Sounds like shin splints. Soreness in the anterior tibialis muscle. Caused by fallen arches in you're feet.
Could be. I've had issues with my arches in the past.

Over the last couple of days, I've figured out that I've racked something in my back, hip or leg that's caused all of the muscles to tighten up.
I can find specific spots to press and it relieves the pain.

Could be. I've had issues with my arches in the past.

Over the last couple of days, I've figured out that I've racked something in my back, hip or leg that's caused all of the muscles to tighten up.
I can find specific spots to press and it relieves the pain.
If you haven't been already, a visit to your chiropractor may be in order.
I have a pair of these in both my work boots and gym sneaks....they work like a dream. I was getting very bad shin splints and someone recommended these and I can't remember the last time I had an issue.
http://www.theinsolestore.com/sof-sole-3-4-orthotic-insoles.html

Update: Down 14.8 pounds. I got stuck in the 12-ish pound range for a week and a half, but finally pushed past it.

Oh -- and the only number on my blood test that came out iffy was my TSH. Over the past couple of years they've been keeping their eyes on this. Apparently, I have subclinical hypothyroidism, which I guess may explain how I got so fucking fat in the first place!!!

I have been on a carb-counting diet since April 1st, due to Diabetes and a heart attack. IT has been a major change in my eating, but, so far, has not felt that difficult. I know I dropped 6 pounds in the last month; my guess is about 12 or so pounds since I went into the hospital. Not bad since I have not been focused on weight loss. Eating better to stay aliave is much more motivating than eating to lose weight. :grin:

I have been on a carb-counting diet since April 1st, due to Diabetes and a heart attack. IT has been a major change in my eating, but, so far, has not felt that difficult. I know I dropped 6 pounds in the last month; my guess is about 12 or so pounds since I went into the hospital. Not bad since I have not been focused on weight loss. Eating better to stay aliave is much more motivating than eating to lose weight. :grin:

I'm eating this way to support my wife, who's pre-diabetic. I'm hoping that next month when she gets her numbers she'll see a significant drop in her A1C. It's been more of a lifestyle change than a diet for us, and so far, me like!

I'm eating this way to support my wife, who's pre-diabetic. I'm hoping that next month when she gets her numbers she'll see a significant drop in her A1C. It's been more of a lifestyle change than a diet for us, and so far, me like!
It really has helped me, and my wife is happier as well. Win-Win!

So, in light of my recent diagnosis of sleep apnea, one of the recommendations was that I should lose weight. I am not fat by any stretch of the imagination,, but I could lose a few kilos. So I thought what the hell...

I have taken up the low-carb diet. I started last week and in a week's time I have lost 6 pounds already. Now I do have to admit I play basketball on a wednesday and I run 5k twice a week. Still, I already feel better.

Today for lunch I had 2 boiled eggs with a tasty salad (olives, tomato, lettuce and cucumber + cilantro + olive oil, no dressing)

I lost 21 pounds in 100 days doing the ketogenic diet recently... It really works. Then I quit, went on vacation and gained 5 pounds back since... Will probably go back on it after Labor Day for a few more months.

If you haven't been already, a visit to your chiropractor may be in order.
I have a pair of these in both my work boots and gym sneaks....they work like a dream. I was getting very bad shin splints and someone recommended these and I can't remember the last time I had an issue.
http://www.theinsolestore.com/sof-sole-3-4-orthotic-insoles.html
I've been using my plantar fasciitis night splint and that has helped a lot to keep my calf stretched out.
The problem is pretty much gone. Keeping things stretched out will be an ongoing concern.
I'm going to start a flexibility routine that is based on making my golf swing better, but addresses full body flexibility.

I have lost about 15 lbs in the last 2 months. I have been eating chicken,fish,and veggies cooked on the grill. The local Kroger has fresh chicken breast for $1.99 a pound. I buy them 4 times a week.

I do pasta once a week,and pizza once a month.
Carbs just make you hungry in a few hours
I don't miss them.

Last edited:
I do pasta once a week,and pizza once a month.
Carbs just make you hungry in a few hours I'm.
I don't miss them.

I've been organizing a 'Pizza Friday' with colleagues (now, mostly ex-colleagues) I worked with at EPRI since the mid- or late-90s, and have developed a rationale: I have two slices and supplement it with carrots I bring from home. Since pizza has (on average) about 25-35 grams of carbs per slice, it's barely do-able, since it's only once a month. I used to eat about four slices at a sitting...

For pasta, try the black bean spaghetti and chickpea shaped (penne) pasta. The penne has 24 effective grams of carbs (32g total - 8g fiber) and 14g of protein. The black bean spaghetti has even less (17g total less 12g fiber) and 25g protein (each serving is two ounces dry).

I use the spaghetti with vegetables and chicken I saute in olive oil and use the penne for macaroni and cheese (fortified with cauliflower). I like the flavor of the penne a bit more (and the texture is a bit more like the real thing.)

c5c9ca58-abfc-433a-9971-73f6acb694eb_1.2f12e9111173d0ba8f9c85a4e48df3d5.jpeg

Banza-Penne-Front-Med.png

Last edited:
I could eat a whole pizza when I was younger. Now I just eat a slice or 2.
It's also hard to find good pizza here,so that makes it easier.

Today: 2 bananas, 8 oz apple juice, 2 multigrain tortillas with quinoa and homemade hummus with spring mix greens and a drizzle of salsa, 1 Coors beer.

This weekend I might have pizza because I normally do on weekends - I eat a 12 inch pie in a sitting no problem.

Back