Love my Wegen picks...

I was into V-picks for a while but I suck at not losing expensive picks so I ended up going to the Ultex Jazz III. Someday I'll be enough of a grown up to have nice things :tongue:

I was into V-picks for a while but I suck at not losing expensive picks so I ended up going to the Ultex Jazz III. Someday I'll be enough of a grown up to have nice things :tongue:

Dude I feel your pain. I'm on my last one from a pack of three. Just ordered more.

Last edited:
Not familiar with V-picks. Heard about Wegen from all the gypsy jazz guys.

really good picks but not practical for me. I think Help!I'maRcok! just got some Wegen picks from a friend this week...I think thats the first I've heard of them myself.

V-picks feel great in the fingers and have a nice attack to them, but I don't use them much due to the glassy click sound they produce at each touch on the strings.

I have never tried Wegen's, but I love V Picks. Dylan sent some my way and they were very easy to hold on to and they made a huge difference in tone. Then I sent them to Australia and they were never heard from again. :(

I have never tried Wegen's, but I love V Picks. Dylan sent some my way and they were very easy to hold on to and they made a huge difference in tone. Then I sent them to Australia and they were never heard from again. :(

Yeah, the switchblade was my favorite out of the bunch. I really liked the bevels that he puts on the edges of some of his picks.

I like my V-pick, but I rarely ever each for it. I have completely reverted to the same pick I loved in high school. Fender Thin, Blue Tort.

http://web.mac.com/fusedstudios/Studio_Pics_and_Picks/Picks.html
Scroll down once page opens....

I've been making my own picks for the past three years now. Never liked what I found off the shelf.

First I made a ton out of exotic tone woods.... Sounded great... But doing a perfect duplicate of ones that I really liked was almost impossible. Wood grains etc...just differed too much...

Latest I've been using exothermic plastics...
Make a RTV mold and then just pour the two part liquid into the molds.
Some of these plastics cure in about 5 minutes, others take a bit longer.

I've been equating picks to violin bows. A relative spent $30k on a bow to get the desired sound required by the symphony. So why wouldn't picks make a diff on guitars.... As I have found out, they really do....

Thus far I'm liking the molded plastic picks the best.
And I'm assuming this is what Wegen picks are using.
They seem to be a lot better at this than I am but hey, I get the results that I want.

If you want to look into doing this, Alumalite is a good place to start.
I've tried another company's two part exlthermic plastics and one is a lot whiter and a a bit softer than the alumalite. But it also sounds great...

I need to get some pics of the picks...

I haven't found anything yet, that can bring out the characteristics like the the thermoplastics...
Harmonics etc....all are so much nicer.. hearing things I didn't know my guitars were capable of...

Last edited:
I haven't tried Wegen yet, but I have a Red Bear pick that I LOVE and a handmade agate pick that I'm also pretty fond of. The Red Bear I picked up used on the Martin forum. I prefer heavier picks: 1.5 and up.

Back