Love/Hate relationship with the Peavey Classic 20

mystixboi1

Kick Henry Jackassowski
Love/Hate relationship with the Peavey Classic 20

Ever since I got the Peavey Classic 20 mh last summer, I’ve had a love hate relationship with it. I got the head with the matching 1 x 12 matching cab loaded with a V30 speaker. The cleans are beautiful, but the gain isn’t how I remembered it. I remember my old Peavey Classic having a nice marshally gain that sounded great when cranked with a boost. This isn’t the case with this amp. I have had it set in the 1 watt setting since I got it.

I never liked the dirty channel on this so I’ve been using the mxr 5150 evh and tech 21 rk5.

Just recently, I tried messing around with the 5 watt and 20 watt settings. The amp has totally opened and up and I like it for most things and I thought I could really get on with it. BUT I find that even with a boost(RC Booster and Bad Monkey), the dirty channel is a bit loose and flubby for lead lines… tons of sag. Maybe I used to like that, but I really don’t like it much these days.

Anyway, anyone else have a love hate relationship with their amp?

I think I might go back to the EVH 5150 iii… but this time I’ll go with the lbx ii because of the dedicated clean and blue channels. I never really used the red much anyway.

the only thing I don’t like about my amp is the size. It’s big and heavy (for a head). It has an awesome clean channel, that stays clean and that’s what I want from an amp.

This is precisely why I end up playing way more acoustic than electric. The constant battle to get exactly the right tone can be a monumental waste of time and money.

giphy.gif

You know what, John? You are an excellent candidate for the new Synergy amp that's coming out...you can get a chassis with slots for 1 or 2 preamp modules, and there are modules voiced for everything from Fender cleans to Vox crunch to fully modded Friedmans or Marshalls...you should really look into it...

http://www.synergyamps.com/index.php

You know what, John? You are an excellent candidate for the new Synergy amp that's coming out...you can get a chassis with slots for 1 or 2 preamp modules, and there are modules voiced for everything from Fender cleans to Vox crunch to fully modded Friedmans or Marshalls...you should really look into it...

Pretty cool stuff. But a little rich for my blood thee days. Randall did this 10 years ago. I think Bruce egnater was involved.

I had a classic 50, have played the classic 30, and don't really think their gain tones are very marshally. If that's the tool box you want to work with then getting an amp that does those tones would probably be the ticket.

IDK, their demo vids don't really blow me away. I get the niche they are trying to fill; guitarists always want thing 1 to sound like thing 2.
How do I get my strat to sound like a les paul?
How do I get my les paul to sound like a strat?
How do I get my PV classic to sound like a Marshall?
How do I get my marshall to sound like a AC30?

But close isn't usually good enough. We're generally funny like that.

You should've gotten the 20w 6505 head, John.

It has killer dirty and High Gain channels, at least mine does thru my 2x12 Carvin cab. And the clean channel is good, if not a lot of headroom.

Back