WTF: Looks like we are attending a shotgun wedding

tiger roach

Urban Bovine Knievel
Tell me this isn't completely messed up:

Last night Mrs. Roach appears with an ominous-looking document in her hands, which turns out to be a wedding invitation.

Her: We are going to a wedding Saturday.

Me: What Saturday?

Her: This Saturday. The 7th.

Me: The hell. Who the **** sends out wedding invitations less than a week before the wedding?

Her: It's the family of one of my students (this is the explanation for a lot of weirdness in my life).
Her: This girl had a baby at 15.

Me: Wait wait wait. It is a wedding for a 15-year-old girl?

Her: Well, she's 16 now.

Me: :facepalm:

Dafuck? Is that even legal? How am I supposed to act at this, happy? Worried? Appalled? What if one of them, you know, tries to escape or something? :messedup:

Last edited:
Why do people think because a baby is born that the parents need to get married? 16 is far too young to be an effective parent or a spouse. I hope the baby has some real adults looking out for him/her.

Why do people think because a baby is born that the parents need to get married? 16 is far too young to be an effective parent or a spouse. I hope the baby has some real adults looking out for him/her.

Without going into specifics, religion seems to be a big motivator in this case (and probably lots of other similar cases).

These marriages never work, the bible may say one thing, but you have got to be practical about this because a child's life is on the line.
My parents were 17 when I was born and they were married a year before the whole thing was over.
No way in hell you'd get me to attend that bullshit

Last edited:
Sometimes I think the only reason my parents actually got married was because my mom was pregnant with my younger brother. Oddly, I don't have any pictures of 3-year-old me in a little suit, but I know I attended their wedding.

That said, they're still married. :shrug:

Back