Looking at budget pianos. Advice?

I bought mine from a guy who does piano tuning. He charged me for the tuning and moving. Came out to be about $300.

Digital is more practical but so are condoms. Practical doesn't mean more fun.

Lots of good perspectives here. Thanks, guys.

I'm going to mull over options for a few weeks probably, so please keep them coming if anyone has anything to add.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I'll add spinets don't sound as good and they're harder to work on, but to my ears I don't notice that much difference.

I'd be wary of free pianos because if they are too far out of tune, they might need strings changed and that gets pricey.

I'll add spinets don't sound as good and they're harder to work on, but to my ears I don't notice that much difference.

I'd be wary of free pianos because if they are too far out of tune, they might need strings changed and that gets pricey.
I keep reading that spinets sound bad, but the Acrosonic that I found at an estate sale sounded better than any of the grands I've ever played. That's kind of what got the GAS fire burning this week.

They wanted $1200 for it, which is way high. It goes down to $600 on Sunday if no one buys it. Tempting, but that means I'd probably be $900 into it by the time I get it moved and tuned.

Meanwhile I could just get a new Yamaha P-115 with the fancy stand and bench for under $800. I wouldn't have even considered digital before this thread, but a lot of our fellow forumites have made a compelling case.

I get the practicality of digital, but I'm charmed by the analog. There's something nostalgic for me about the one we used to play in my grandma's house, and even with all the BS of moving and tuning it, I think I'd end up playing one more.

Could be wrong, though. You do have a good point.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I have a Yamaha upright, U3. I also have a digital piano, Fender Rhodes, Hammond organ, multiple synthesizers. The Yamaha acoustic upright is the keyboard I go to the most when I want to try out a new song idea, just play for pleasure, or entertain friends, and the one my son took lessons on. It would be the last keyboard I would sell.

CL if you want free. For a higher end used piano try your local university/conservatory - they frequently sell off their existing practice pianos.

If you just want to get back into playing digital/midi is much more practical.

I grew up in a house with a piano, and I share your nostalgia/socio-cultural motivations, but...

Back