Look what I got

Theodore

I gotta move
Work has been slow so I walked to the outskirts of the nearest town. Done about 40 times that on a bike but never walked anywhere from home.
IMG_1008.JPG

It's a dry ditch

IMG_0975.JPG

And from last week

IMG_0940.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0976.JPG
    IMG_0976.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 57
Reactions: Tig
I used to be really into just kinda heading out the door on foot and going for long walks. haven't done that sort of thing for years.

I used to be really into just kinda heading out the door on foot and going for long walks. haven't done that sort of thing for years.

Has definitely been my MO on a bike but not on foot. Thinking of walking across the county, which would be about 20 miles on a path that would also allow me to set foot in five counties in a day. Also trying to get my feet toughened in case I go over yonder.

outside of the contractual requirement to hate flatlanders while I was growing up in wisconsin, I never reallllly realized how FLAT illinois is. I've been feeling it more and more the last half a year or so, even way "up north" here... on paper, it's not really that different than wisconsin (compared to say, socal), but holy shit, some hills really do make a huge difference in the general ambiance of a place.

Has definitely been my MO on a bike but not on foot. Thinking of walking across the county, which would be about 20 miles on a path that would also allow me to set foot in five counties in a day. Also trying to get my feet toughened in case I go over yonder.
that sounds awesome. I think the most I ever covered in my rambles was almost 18 miles, but that was on a day when I didn't really decide to go for a walk until late morning. 20 miles across a county sounds like a fun arbitrary goal.

20 miles won't even get you to the next town /round these parts let alone the next county *spits*

outside of the contractual requirement to hate flatlanders while I was growing up in wisconsin, I never reallllly realized how FLAT illinois is. I've been feeling it more and more the last half a year or so, even way "up north" here... on paper, it's not really that different than wisconsin (compared to say, socal), but holy shit, some hills really do make a huge difference in the general ambiance of a place.

*spits* There's a lot of flat but there are large portions where it's fairly rugged even outside of the driftless zone and the shawnee hills, though that's erosion from rivers and streams so it's more down and up than up and down.

Basically this stuff and some outside of it.

OnPaste.20170222-201142.png

But then there are even "flat" areas that have a lot of intermittent moraines where the most recent glaciation (Wisconsonian *spits*) radiated out from around Shitcago.

map_moraines.gif

I'm just outside of that but the immediate area has two rivers and a number of large creeks (why people came here a lot sooner than other places in central illinois) that break up the flatness and some older moraines to the northeast. I could take you on some very hilly walks/rides/drives. :embarrassed:

Last edited:
I walked 6 miles today and I saw 20 billion of these in the ditch.

9886-fireball-cinnamon-whiskey_1.jpg

*spits*

Same on Monday and I think I saw five natty light tallboys in a paper bag one after the other.

*spits*

Back