Line6 Helix LT

I can't imagine one of these things working out for me.

It's been 20 years since I ditched the RP-10 in favor of my Mesa Subway Rocket and a couple of pedals. I'm sure I could go back to multi-fx, I just want what I want.

getting your patches the same level is not hard.

what was hard for me was spending a lot of time creating cool patches and then them not sounding good at the venue. i hated editing shit on the fly. because i was still using a tube amp things would sound a lot different than when i created everything at home. so i had to make sure everything sounded good at gig levels which now i don't really have the option anymore with 2 kids.

i do think they have made tremendous advancements since the days of the digitech rp series. these new units are crazy good.

i hated editing shit on the fly.

This is what would kill me. For example, if you use the same reverb setting on 5 or 6 patches, then get to a venue and it sounds off, now you are editing 5 or 6 patches, where is you have a reverb pedal, you turn the knob once and it is done.

It's a matter of not having the ability to select a consistent output level across patches. The Master Volume is basically useless and redundant. Of course there are times you want a patch to be louder or quieter, the problem is, it's damn near impossible to get all of your patches in the same ballpark.

Adjusting the level on the compressor changes the patch volume, adjusting a level on the drive effect changes your patch volume, then there's the amp sim settings that can WILDLY effect patch volume.

Then it's a matter of being totally unable to get ANY idea how close you got them to each other unless you check them at show volume, which at home is seriously no fun for you or your neighbors. At lower overall volumes, the differences are imperceptible.

So many times, I've shown up to rehearsal with a fresh batch of patches that I thought were at least roughly the same level, only to blow everyone's ears out with some, and have others that are nowhere near loud enough.

So, do I waste valuable rehearsal time navigating the horrendous onboard editor to try and dial them in, or do I go back to the drawing board at home again with each one without knowing for sure my changes will be good for the next rehearsal or show?

It's absolutely maddening. Having both a "volume" knob (which again, doesn't mean anything, because regardless where the knob is positioned, the patch overrides it and cancels it out), AND a Master volume knob that is anything BUT a master volume.

There's just too much tweakability and not enough ability to restrain it.

Once you get past all that bullshit, you find yourself constantly having to replace broken foot switches that only get used to select the next patch or bank, having a dead volume/wah/expression pedal (a very common thing), and having to open up the damn thing and mickey mouse a support brace for the circuit board because it flexes so much when you press a switch, that the switches stop working (before they break), because the resistance on the switch mechanism is stronger than the board is stable, so pushing the switch just flexes the board without engaging.

Total shit show.

Sent from Crab Nebulae via reverse engineered alien technology

Back