Line 6. I give up. You've defeated me.

OGG

Master of the Meh
Done.

HD 500 goes on CL tomorrow. Never again.

The gig last night was the stuff of dreams. It was a truly epic and incredible evening. It was the culmination, the realization of all of the sweat, money and toil I have invested in this band. It was everything I envisioned at the beginning.

I had the time of my life. The private home in the Temecula Wine Country that hosted the event was stunning, and nestled amongst lavish, extravagant and beautiful homes and wineries. The views were stunning, the weather was glorious, our hosts were wonderful, the crowd was enthusiastic, the food was to die for...

Spectacular.

It was slightly mired by that gawd forsaken shitbox that I now come to fully despise.

The wild volume discrepencies continue despite an enormous amount of research, fiddling and tinkering. I have exhausted every conceivable avenue short of simply maxing out every single effect and parameter that in any way affects total volume. I could do that, but then it will sound like shit... perfectly volume matched shit.

Before I left for the gig yesterday, I was packed and ready to go with plenty of extra time. I decided to recheck my set list patches for consistency one last time. I ran the output to my JC 55 and gave the amp a good dose of volume for at home levels... between 3 and 4.

To my ears, they all seemed pretty close. Close enough that I could presumably adjust the volume pedal slightly if needed. But, I wanted to be sure.

I had a stroke of genius. Or so I thought.

I ran the outputs to my interface and fired up a DAW with a signal meter. I laid the guitar down flat on the table top, selected the neck pick up, the set my EBOW straddling the G with the blue light directly on the pick up pole and switched it on

My logic was that the steady, constant, high output would be the perfect way to see exactly how much signal was reaching the outputs. In theory, this was pure brilliance.

I spent the next hour scrolling through the parches one by one and meticulously tweaking parameters until each had the same level. Patches that incorporated a drive pedal model that would be toggled on and off during the song were particularly tedious. I save each patch to the computer as I completed them. I then wiped all patches from the device before loading the newly adjusted patches back into the machine.

When I clicked the "Send All" button as I've done hundreds of times without issue, all fucking Hell broke loose. Everything froze, completely. After a few nervous moments, an error message apoeared that I've never seen before and the PC froze once again.

I had to hard shut down (press and hold the power button). When the PC restarted, the Line 6 editor couldn't "find" the HD 500. I tried everything, swapping USB cables and ports... everything. Nothing worked.

The Line 6 Monkey software was able to see it, and it stated that the drivers needed updating. So be it. I updated the drivers and got everything ported over.

Packed it up and split for the gig thinking I had slain the beast.

Wrong.

Worst volume discrepencies ever. My patches were either way way too quiet, ir way way too loud. None of them were even close to the others. I spent both sets fighting with and fiddling with that motherfucker, often at the expense of interrupting my playing, or my vocals, or both.

Unacceptable.

Never had this issue with any other MFX unit. Won't tolerate it any longer from this one. I'll gladly sacrifice some of the Gucci features in favor of hassle free operation.

Fuck you Line 6. I have read countless posts from other frustrated users having the same difficulty and begging for a global volume control via firmware update.

Instead, you gave us a global EQ that gargles donkey balls, and the opportunity to purchase a new model pack full of fucking headaches for just $100.

Fuck you in your stupid fucking meathead face.

I guess that means you've had enough.

:poke:
Yeah.

It's a shame, because I've been a big Line 6 proponent for a long time. Unfortunately, all of the brilliantly executed models and myriad routing and customization options mean fuck all if you can't rely on it in a live setting.

I'd rather run my trusty old RP -3 at this point. It may be nearly 20 years old, but it's literally built like a tank, is a cakewalk to program and sounds incredibly good depite its ancient hardware.

I'll likely end up using either the GT10 or maybe even the GT6. Either will get me the sounds I want without causing me to have a stroke.

We'll sell you a model fraught with problems, then sell you a fix.

Yeah, I don't blame you.
Fuck that noise.

Reactions: OGG
grab 8 pedals and this:
octo.jpg

You can setup 8 different combos. You can't really get an easier than this and no tap dancing.

Or look at Dexters pedalboard thread. Except for the massive difference in cost I'd say maybe you are a candidate for an AxeFX.

That's a shame. I gigged the hell out of my HD500 for a year or two without any of these problems. I guess it wasn't meant to be.

How many different dirt tones do you need?

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk
Well, quite a few actually. The early 80s (which is ALL we play) was a very mixed bag of tones and also an era that saw a tremendous explosion in tonal pallete options and experimentation. I try very hard to recreate each tone. Just the dirt tones are all over the place. You had the guys clinging to the old school Marshall sound, then you had guys using overdrive, guys using AC30s with added gain, lots of guys running very "clean" amps like the Roland JC and Fender Twin. These amps were then forced to crunch with Tube Screamers or RATs in many cases. A lot of guys using early MXR Compression, sometimes before the dirt, sometimes after. There was a lot going on.
That's a shame. I gigged the hell out of my HD500 for a year or two without any of these problems. I guess it wasn't meant to be.
Curious, were you using the amp models, or just the FX? It seems that the overwhelming bulk of this issue has to do with using the amp models. If so, how did you mitigate the imbalances?
Sooooo Axe-FX or Kemper?
Oh man. I love the Axe FX, it sounds amazing. Not a snowball's chance in Hell I go that route. The cost doesn't bother me, the level of obsessive attention to detail and the programming is just too much. Can't do it.
...but the gig was fun, right?
It really was.

Despite the HD 500 being a jerkoff, and a few odd technical issues, it was a blast.
The stage (built on a trailer) wasn't a quite level, not the guy's fault, the pics will tell that story. Also, being a mobile stage, it had a perpencity to shake and undulate. Neither of these things on their own would be a big deal, but I brought a cheap, unweighted mic stand, and because I'm tall, had the boom extended pretty far. The behemoth SM58 way out there on that ever bouncing boom arm, along with a slight stage lean had me having to make several mid song saves as the whole thing kept falling over.

That got even worse after the short, drunk wife of the birthday boy got up there to make an announcement and completely FUBAR'D the adjustment.

When she was done, the guys launched into the next song, which I should have been playing guitar in, but was trying to readjust my mic. That became a clusterfuck when the thumb screw for the boom refused to tighten because the threads on the receiver side had stripped out.

I tried to act cool and continue to entertain as I fiddled with the thing, I started telling a story about the birthday boy (whom I had never met) and I assigned to protection detail with Brian Williams during our time as Force Recon snipers in Kuwait and our chopper taking fire from a triple A battery which lead to our helicopter suffering a similar screw failure that forced an emergency landing... meanwhile, show promoter guy came and saved my ass with Gaffer tape.

That was fun.

After the show, dude, 50ish walks up and asks me if I really flew Helos in Kuwait abd if I was really attached to Force Recon.

Uhhh... what?

Then I laughed and began to explain the joke. He did not laugh however, but instead informed me that he drove AH -64 Apaches in Kuwait, and Charlie (Birthday boy) was in fact former Special Forces BADASS.

That was

Awkward.

But, burthday boy didn't mind at all, and showed us his appreciation by handing each of us a crisp new C Note on top of the very generous fee the promoter paid us.

So yeah, it was fun.

I really like my Line 6 DL4. That's my only experience with that company.

Really, though, typically, if I need a lot of effects in a gig, I basically just play through a MacBook Pro. Or use the 13-pin output on my Godin and use a Roland unit. But that's mainly for the really weird stuff. Or simulating other instruments.

I really like my Line 6 DL4. That's my only experience with that company.

Really, though, typically, if I need a lot of effects in a gig, I basically just play through a MacBook Pro. Or use the 13-pin output on my Godin and use a Roland unit. But that's mainly for the really weird stuff. Or simulating other instruments.
I'm almost to that point. I really like the sounds I get with Amplitube.

Curious, were you using the amp models, or just the FX? It seems that the overwhelming bulk of this issue has to do with using the amp models. If so, how did you mitigate the imbalances?

Yep, I was using the effects and amp models going directly to the board on one side and a powered personal monitor on the other side. I got past the volume variations by dialing them all in with exactly the same rig and volume levels that I would use on stage. It got me probably 95% of the way there. Then at rehearsal I would make notes about any changes, which were usually minor. By the first gig, the volumes were no problem. The effects and EQ, etc, OTOH were something I tweaked for months.

@OGG after having issues with 3 different mic stands (booms not holding position right, tendency to fall over, stripped out cheap parts, etc...

.... I bit the bullet and bought this mic stand.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MicStdBoomF

With the telescoping boom, all the engineered parts are metal with rubber covered knobs so the don't tear up your hands.... it works great.

Back