Like an Aztec sacrifice to the automotive gods they are cutting the heart of my truck

Thanks guys!

I haven't driven it yet...I have to wait until the truck shop opens on Tuesday to get a new brake light switch and he's going to fabricate a passing gear kickdown for the carb among other small things. At dinner last night he told me that after he adjusted it all out Saturday morning he did drive it around the parking lot down there. As soon as its all done I'll definitely have some more pics and video.

Thanks!

I think I'm going to go put the hood on right now :)

Seriously, after spending a few hours working on my truck (successfully) yesterday I'm in the mood to do all the other stuff I need to do, and this thread is really inspirational! Have fun with the hood!

image-3853718110.jpg
image-896594766.jpg
image-2689693797.jpg
It definitely is fun :)

Just now:

Last edited:
So I drove it around the block this morning although I had to behave myself since the brake lights are waiting for a part :embarrassed:

Definitely has more pep. It's only going to go so fast considering what it is but it feels much more livelier even without the kick down linkage when I punch it. I did discover that I hadn't tightened the bottom radiator hose clamp enough and it was leaking all over the place though :embarrassed:

So I drove it around the block this morning although I had to behave myself since the brake lights are waiting for a part :embarrassed:

Definitely has more pep. It's only going to go so fast considering what it is but it feels much more livelier even without the kick down linkage when I punch it. I did discover that I hadn't tightened the bottom radiator hose clamp enough and it was leaking all over the place though :embarrassed:

If you want to know what the kickdown will feel like, just punch it and yank it down into 2nd :grin: That's what the kickdown does (i forgot, it is a THM350, right?)

My '57 would hold in 1st up to 60mph.... then WHOOOOSH into 2nd!

Sounds like my '63 Impalla with a powerglide. We de-stroked the 327 to 302, 12.5:1 pistons, etc. It was guaranteed to hold together up to 6800 RMP, but I shifted closer to 6000 at around 55 MPH. It was fairly quick.

I'd love to own an old truck like Marks.

my truck is considerably less nimble. I'm just happy that it has more pep.

Today was something of a wash. the joys of rebuilding a truck cobbled together out of parts from four different decades.

Thanks! I didn't get new hoses, so they're a little grungy but its not a show car.....I'm especially stoked about seeing the truck parked for a few hours and no leaking oil on the ground :embarrassed:

:grin:

Actually leaving in a few minutes to finish it up. The "clean up" list is:

Kick down linkage
Stoplight switch

and,

I think thats it :)

I'm sure there'll be something else I've forgotten but it should be done pretty quickly. I want to be able to drive it to work tomorrow for the event we're having at Premier....

That is one sweet truck Mark. And a very awesome Father in Law.

SHucks, now I'm going to hafta go work on my fun truck... 69 Ford F100 SWB.

Back